GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 09:23:46 EDT
In a message dated 10/18/2001 4:40:07 AM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Sister Jabou,
>
> Indeed for very obvious reasons, we should all vote for PDOIS. But I cannot
> help feeling  this strange emptiness for not being able to vote - as per a
> Yahya Decree! - because I am not resident in Gambia: (It's fuzzy logic: Shut
> Out the Overseas Gambians, Bring In the Cassamancais)! It is like being
> black in Apartheid South Africa.

Brother Momodou,

We all feel this emptiness of being shut out and Jammeh knows that most of us
abroad would never vote for the continued oppression of our people, so it was
in his best interest to ignore the effort of those of us abroad to vote.
However, this will not stop the determination of the Gambian people to shed
the yoke of brutality and opptreesion driven by total ignorance and an
insatiable hunger for power. That is not what we are looking for in a leader.
All we can do is implore the people on the ground to usegood judgement and
vote Jammeh out, and not to be sawyed by superficial things because after the
elections are over and the promises packed away and the few dalasis of bribe
money spent, the terror and human rights abuses will reach a proportion like
we have never seen before, because jammeh will take it as a passport to do
anything he likes since there will always be some of us who for some twisated
logic, are ready to sacrifice our people for their own self interest. It is
time for Gambians to do their part, it all rests on them now, and PDOIS is
indeed a very bright star in their sky.

Jabou Joh