GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ousman Bojang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:02:19 -0800
Dr. Jaiteh,
I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to this issue either. However, I have a different opinion when it comes to a "Unified Gambia". If I have to go by my emotions, I will certainly say no to any kind of unification, but with a more socio-political-economic bench-marking, I am sure we can do far much better together. How far one takes that and the model will be the final definition of the kind of "unity".
I have no doubt that the two countries will benefit a lot if they trade in between them More fairly. Leveling the playing field will be a big challenge.
If the borders are free between the two nations, I think we will all benefit more. Senegal might gain the upper hand in that regard for they are more likely to seize the opportunity and they are more populated than us. None the less, we can gain too.
On the monetary aspect, I am not sure even those of us with no monetary ideas will disagree that we will be far better off with a single currency. Of course there are disadvantages to that too, but there is nothing without advantages and disadvantages.
Security; is hard to say. The Gambia security apparatus appears more alert, but that is arguable. I guess it depends what our different experiences are.
Looking it from another point of view, who will gain more? Certainly that will also be dictated my the model chosen. With all our well educated folks in Gambia, I think a mid level playing field could be forged for the benefit of both nations.
Do I look forward to a unified Gambia, I am not even sure. May be what one needs to push for, if any between the two countries is pragmatic cooperation amongst us. There are a lot of things that could be done to bring the two nations together that will benefit all of us.

Pierre Gomez <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
While no one may deny the fact that Senegal and Gambia are one people, however,
each will be better off paddling their own canoe, and only lending each other support
interms of disasters and other crisis. The idea of a unity was long dropped by a
UN commission before Gambia attained its independence. The realities at the time
are the same as those on the ground today. So, Senegal will be better off uniting
with Cassamance than Gambia. If anybody should fight against the realities to unite
the two countries, they will pay a prize higher than the one paid by D.K.Jawara.
So you better not try it at all.

Leave the arrogant people in their country and the meek ones in theirs. Period
.

PG

Outgoing mail is Virus Scanned byNorman Data Defense. Inbound Spam reduced 98.2% byVircom Sieve. PghConnect Internet Services Internet service for only $6.95/mo. http://www.pghconnect.com
http://www.pghconnect.com/