GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
malik kah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 17:54:06 +0000
Well, OUS. It is true we have to struggle to dislodge Jammeh because he is a
tyrant and a brute with no conscience, but then we must not take off our
eyes from what is happening around the UDP simply because as an opposition
party it is a government in waiting, hence all their statements and actions
must augur with the desire to usher peace and tranquility, after all
Cassamance and the Fonis has an umblical cord and we must not  invite a
situation that will open up cracks that can easily allow for  an independent
movement in alliance with the MFDC. If the Jolas fell intimidated by the UDP
they can only revert to their natural constituence Cassamance for protection
and they do not need this because they are as Gambian as any of us. Just
because Yaya happens to be Jola does not mean to say that Jolas should
answer to his actions, after all there are lots of Jolas who do not support
him equally there are lots of mandingoes who support him, so it is a fallacy
to assume that those that try to thwart the course of democracy in the Fonis
are representing the majority position. I recalled  a similar  experience
PDOIS had in DUNGBALI, meaning no entry, during the PPP era but they handled
it differently because they understood that it was ignorance that provoked
such actions and not necessarily allegiance.  We must cease reffering to the
Jolas  as none Gambians just because they have that close affinity with the
Cassamance

The UDP most not reduce itself to the level of Jammeh they must temper their
language when it comes to tribal issues they must not allow themselves to be
seen as trying to defend a tribal position. They should rise above this. T

But then,the  party is so obsessed with Yaya that it is losing its head as a
national forum and this is dangerous,  for in doing so it can be as bad as
Yaya.

If for instance people at the apex of the UDP are making blatant general
statements about Jolas we must endeavour to reject such tribal inclinations.
Because by doing so advertently or inadvertently one is craftly appealing to
another tribal group or groups  on tribal sentiments and this is
unacceptable. If a group of ignorant people decided to interfere with the
electoral process they must be taken to task rightly, but that does mean to
say that we must lose our national duty to unify the people and exploit
ignoranceto  make unwarranted statement, this will lose us focus and believe
me this is what Jammeh and his accolytes want.

To reiterate, I  agree that it is absolutely wrong for any Gambian of
whatsoever tribe to try and stop any political meeting but I beg to differ
that all the Jolas in the Foni are responsible after all there are Jolas in
the UDP as well as all the other parties. Hence we must not get carried away
and use inflamatory language to incite conflict. If Yaya should encourage
any tribal appeals we should without reservation condemn him however,  so
does this apply to all the other parties.

I was bemused  when mr juju man KB was very elated about the offensive
remarks made by a senior UDP spokes person about the FONI incident, instead
of condeming such unwarranted language he condoned it and even express
delight and congratulations at the way this man conducted the whole affairs.
In my opinion this is appaling it is just synonymous to  the hysteria and
hatred  built against moslems, in  the immediate aftermarth of the US
bombings, a lot of immature and highly misled people wanted to make all
moslems guilt.

Am sure not all Jolas would condone the attempt to stifle the course for
democracy hence to make general statements that would tar them with the same
guilty brush is highly erroneous and provocative.

This was the same mistake UDP made in the last elections, they anatagonised
the armed forces,  concluding  that they were natural APRC supporters
failing to acknowledge the fact the arm forces is not necessarily
homogeneous, there can be mute elements that do not condone what is
happening under the APRC, but under the circumstances they cannot manifest
it.

To govern the country the UDP needs the support from all the tribes, they do
not have to play with Jammehs pretence or assume that all Jolas are APRC.
This erroneous precept will only lead to one way and that is to the
Sierraleone scenario, and god forbid if this should happen in our small
country, we shall forever live to regret it, we must not advocate for tribal
sentiments to gain power the parties should focus on their programmes and
appeal to all Gambians irrespective of tribe, if any one is trying to
exploit tribal sentiments all should expose him.  The examples of tribal
politics and its consequencies are  all over the world for us to see, it
never, ever resolves anything, if anything it creats more than it can solve.

On this note I call on all Gambians to exercise restrain and caution  in  in
refrence to any tribe. Tribalism  all it does is foster hatred and divide
the people and as a small nation we cannot afford a conflict of the type
that afflicted both Liberia and Sierraleone.

Further to your remarks KB that I am confused that Jawara is residing in the
UK and this elections is not about him you might be partially rigth because
physicall he is noT in the Gambia, however you are demonstrating to me how
politically naive you are. Jawara was operating in a system and any system
is analogous to an organism, because it has people as tentacles,it is such
people who help this organism to thrive and at this point in time such a
people do exist in the country  albeit most of them are octogenarians they
are there blowing their trumpet under the protective clothing of UDP. You
only have to follow the campaigns to listen to them struggling to impress
the people about their achievements during their 30 years of misrule,
sometimes you even wonder if they are not trying to torpedo Darbo, it is sad
to see such elderly senile bunch trying to make a come back, I hope KB, you
will realise that these people are the achilles heel of Darbo, Mr Darbo
could have earned much more respect had he defined his relationship with the
PPP, but it appears he cant, from the inception of the UDP a lot of people
had urged him to make an independent departure but he must have owed them so
much obligation that he has become a hostage to them. And by continug to do
so he will always be treated as the shadow of the PPP.