GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
abdou karim sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 18:56:50 +0000
The final deliberation of the Sister Sakiina Smith Haaruun was very
emotional. I am appealing to the people of the Gambia to take matter
every seriously. With worldwide atrocities such as natural flooding,
famines, civil wars and social inequalities black extended families are
being displace which give rise to instability. These, undoubted will
give rise to mental ill health. Education on mental health is paramount
and this should begin on the very top: by this I mean the Ministry of
Health most put mental health education as a priority on the way forward
to put in place policies and produces, and for the development update
and current mental health act. As human beings we need to recognize that
each community there are leaders. These leaders have a responsibility to
care for those in need and anyone  experiencing mental illness certainly
need for structured care and support in a healthy therapeutic
environment. After all the Gambia is a muslim country and we should all
be aware of the teachings of Islam with reference to taking care of
those in need be it ZAKAAT.
As displace African Muslim born in the Island of Jamaica and now
residing in England for the past 34 years I now have the yearning to
return back to Africa and have chosen the Gambia as my home. I am able
and really to work in what ever area of need base on my skills and
abilities but, there is a need for urgent care policies to put in place.
What I am about to say I hope will not be taken out of context. The fact
that mental health nurses are the once running'' the present show'', my
suggestion is that they given scholarship and sponsorship to be train as
consultant psychiatric. These will be the starting point for education
program. There is now a need to train more people to become psychiatric
nurses and this could start with some of the present nursing
auxiliaries.
I am appealing with all my heart to the Secretary of state for health Mr
Abdoulie Sallah that he starts a dialogue with the team with the unit to
become aware of the present nature of mental illness in the Gambia. In
conclusion I would like to say that this being my visit visit to Africa
per say the Gambia as been an eye opener and educational experience for
me. The host population of calm, peaceful and tolerant and their
hospitabiable, It is with this spirit that the above be extended to
those individuals who are experiencing mental illness. I hope and pray
that this article starts chain reaction of positive changes in the field
of psychiatry. We have the to move beyond the mind set of fear and
powerlessness. We must be open and willing to learn. As Awo Osun Kunle
says ' You most never be stupid enough to say, or smart to admit, you
know what someone else is talking about. The moment you do your learning
stops. You can learn something valuable from everyone, in every
situation, so the matter is I am opening willing to learn''. We should
remember.