GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebou Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Aug 2000 17:15:56 GMT
Mr. Bamba Laye Jallow,

You point is well taken.  I would just want to reemphasize some few things.
There are many opinions on this forum as there are members, and I believe
each one of us is entitled to express them.  Therefore I am under no
pretensions that you or any body will take me seriously or not-that is an
individual choice, and we all can learn to disagree as you just did
respectfully.
However, I want to make some few corrections to your comments.  I am not
pointing any finger at the Jolas.  If this was a Mandinka, Wollof or Fula
issue, I will call it as it is.  Labeling Nazism a German ethno-nationalist
syndrome dose not in anyway translate into rubbing one's thumb on ethnic
sensitivities.  In Cassamance, 60% of the population are Jolas, and from
which most of these separatist activities are more potent.  The elite of the
Attika, the armed wing, detest the settlement of the other minority ethnic
groups, and in fact they have resorted to terror in the past to emphasize
their position. In our sub-region, the Jolas of Cassamance led by the MFDC
are the only ethnic group involved in ethnocentric separatist politics. If
anyone does not consider this a serious threat to the stability and security
of the sub-region, then one must be on under some illusions.  Ethnic
sensitiveness is of course crucial to the well being of any state with
multiple ethnic groups such as the Gambia and Senegal.  Yet to apply such
social platitudes when faced with the ugly head of reality is tantamount to
superstition, a trademark of primitive thinking.
Finally Mr. Bamba Laye my task here is to voice my opinion just like anybody
else, and that is very small compared to a lot of other things I am
currently doing not known to the public. This is a "Bantaba" remember!

You too have a good day my brother.

Ebou Jallow