GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2006 11:04:10 EDT

Brother Sidibeh,

You are probably right, most of our people cast their votes for parties and
individuals for reasons other than ideas and agendas they have to move the
country forward and improve the plight of our people and that is precisely the
reason why we find ourselves in the same vicious cycle, forever  insulating
our politicians from criticism and scrutiny and enabling them to  play on the
ignorance of the people, and if they happen to engage in something  that puts
their integrity and competence into question, so what?

A policy document is the road map a party lays for how they will do the job
the people elect them to do competently so can we really relegate the
inability  to put one together to such insignificance?

You have raised an interesting point because one has to then wonder  what is
it that motivates some of our people to vote for any party or  individual in
our society that is seemingly ignorant of one of the most  important reasons
one should consider in making a decision to vote for a given  party or
individual? The reason the people cast their votes for any party  or individual should
be clearly outlined objectives for getting the job done and  any well meaning
politician or political party whose intentions are in line with  what is best
for the people will no doubt know that it  is equally their responsibility to
have a clear road map and  to educate the people as to it's importance in the
greater scheme of things  instead of taking their ignorance as a blessing in
the avoidance of  scrutiny.  It is time that we strive for higher ideals
instead of  insulating and enabling bad character traits in politicians aspirants
and still  expecting better results in the long run. It is time we stop
capitalizing on the  ignorance of the people.

Jabou Joh

In a message dated 9/6/2006 2:06:33 A.M. Central Daylight Time,