GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 11:46:17 GMT
Gambia-L:

Another commentary from the same British "friend of the Gambia" who
commented yesterday on the current political situation in the Gambia.

Ebrima Ceesay

>To: [log in to unmask]
>CC: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Gambia-L, The Struggle Continues
>Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 20:27:25 +0100
>
>Ebrima,

Your source asks you to tell me that "Gambians will not allow Yaya to
destroy our country: we will succeed in booting the butcher out of
power and commence the long process of reconstruction of our
administrative, social, economic and agricultural infrastructure
destroyed in 6 years by 'these people'."

Please ask your source to do all he/she can to mobilise Gambians in The
Gambia to reiterate this message over and over and over again.  Until we can
get Gambians on the ground there rising en masse, in peaceful fashion using
the spoken and written word to get the message across, then we cannot
succeed in ousting this awful group of people from power.

We cannot allow Gambia to go the way of Sierra Leone, of Guinea Buissau, of
Liberia: we have to do our utmost to ensure political change through
peaceful means. Our pens and voices are our most powerful weapons. We cannot
allow The Gambia, our beloved country, to fall to bullets and rockets: WE
HAVE TO USE EVERY PEACEFUL METHOD IN OUR POWER TO GET RID OF JAMMEH AND HIS
FRIENDS.

Please send this message to every group in The Gambia - send it into the
villages, to the towns, to the city:  send it to schools and colleges, to
the University; send it to public and private educational
institutions (by the way, where is Harriet Ndow now) Marian Lowe, you've
been a true representative of young people in The Gambia - where are YOU
now?). Send it to any person, any place in The Gambia ~ PLEASE.

IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT WE GET GAMBIANS IN THE GAMBIA TO SPEAK FOR
THEMSELVES: TO START WRITING TO WHOEVER AND WHEREVER: TO DEMAND TIME ON
COMMERCIAL RADIO AND GRTS (the latter should be the unalienable right of
every Gambian since the system is apparently a public service !).

LET'S START A CAMPAIGN TO COVER THE GAMBIA WITH WORDS WHICH SPEAK THE
TRUTH ABOUT THE APRC GOVERNMENT - LET'S START TO PLASTER EVERY ROADSIDE,
EVERY BUILDING (PUBLIC AND PRIVATE), EVERY PUBLIC MONUMENT, EVERY HOTEL AND
BUSINESS, EVERY TAXI AND BUS, EVERY MARKET PLACE - let's tell Gambians what
the struggle is really about. Let's get the support of ordinary men and
women (after all, it is THEY who are struggling and suffering).

LET'S STRIVE TO TARNISH EVERY PUBLIC IMAGE OF YAYA JAMMEH - in the cover of
darkness, get rid of the green flags, remove the posters or deface them:
let the voice and word of democratic change start to transform people's
thinking and talking.

LET'S FIND A SLOGAN AND A TUNE WHICH WILL UNITE US ALL IN OPPOSITION TO
JAMMEH:  we could use the first four notes of the Gambian National
Anthem as a rallying call:  we could use a simple phrase JOJO (Jammeh
Out, Jammeh Out !):  let's get started in earnest to get rid of these
terrible people, and let's try to get beloved Gambia back on her feet
again.

We can only succeed in a peaceful overthrow of these tyrants and
killers, these brutalisers of society; these economic miscreants; these
liars; when we have the support of the MAJORITY OF PEACEFUL, LAW-ABIDING
citizens.

Let's send this message to the Independent, to The Point, to Forayaa -
we have to target EVERYWHERE AND EVERYONE.  Try to put advertisements in The
Observer or Daily News (not much hope here though, these presses are
government-driven).

Ask people to remember how the French Army of Resistance used a simple
tune to speak a million words during the second world war.  Ask people
to remember how Churchill mobilised the British in a terrible hour in
1941 by his succinct and economic choice of words.

We have to adopt similar measures to ensure a peaceful outcome to the
end of six awful years in The Gambia.

Comments and thoughts please, Ebrima and friends.

From your British friend of The Gambia.

(Actually Southern England, not Scotland, Ebrima).