GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
momodou olly-mboge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 06:43:14 PDT
Ebrima,
As always your postings are a delight to read.  I hope Gambians will
exercise their constitutional right to vote out these morons come 2001.  You
are right to state that the real challenge for us is yet to come.  We've got
a mammoth task of nation rebuilding if we are able to do away with Yahya and
his friends.  I shall add that not only are we to cleanse ourselves with the
bad omen that is Yahya, but also Jawara's legacy.  Some l'ers might not like
it but Jawara created this monster Yahya.  Why do i bring Jawara into this
debate?

Some of us were born when Jawara was Prime Minister.  We grew up withnessing
him become president and following the abortive coup of 1981, made himself
executive president with extra power.  Jawara's opportunism has manifested
itself throughout his career as the leader of the Gambia.

Jawara created a culture of 'clientalism' in the Gambia. Anyone who stood
against him paid dearly.  Remember the late Sheriff Ceesay(PPA founder in
the late 60s)who became  Minister of Finance under Jawara. This was a
consolation for his humuliation when he wanted to rejoin the PPP.  He was
made to tour the Gambia with Mr Jawara and apologise for his straying away.

I can give many more examples.  Not many people can remember the first
Speaker of the House, one Dr Jones.  He died not a very happy man due to
Jawara's vindictiveness.  Jawara basked in sycophancy.  He enjoyed the likes
of S. Sabally.  During the Sana Manneh case, Jawara promised us that anyone
found guilty would face the music yet he promoted Sabally.

Jawara governed the Gambia negligently.  What came out of RDP
project-nothing.  OVer D29 million went down the drain.  This amount is
three times its value today.

This is the legacy we Gambians face.  We are left with the legacy two
leaders who had made our country despondent.  One was  sophisticated in his
vindictiveness and the other is an uncouth buffoon.

Please let us not forget the big picture-the emancipation of the Gambian and
African people from poverty, indignity and despair.

Africa had produced noble sons and daughters-C.A Diop, Lumumba, Sankara etc.
  There is still  light at the end of tunnel.

Peace,

Mboge