GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebou Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 15:38:16 -0400
Jabou and Omar,

I am the one privileged to have a political dialogue with you, Sister
Jabou and Mr. Ebrima Sall although I completely disagree with you all
on a lot of issues.  This should be the spirit of any matured
democratic discourse amongst civilized human beings- respecting the
moral agency of the “other” no matter how much you loathe their
viewpoint.  This is also the liberal democratic culture that we
Africans need to cultivate amongst ourselves and NOT the politics of
vengeance/hatred.

Every one amongst us here on this forum has an agenda/motive to behind
their individual political dispositions- It shouldn’t matter whether
one is with the APRC or against it.  Every human being has a right to
associate with any political group she or he chooses.  As such
my “trying to placate Jammeh” or “trying to rejoin the ranks of the
APRC” is totally irrelevant.  I have an inalienable right to support
any one, any time and any how I choose.  This is nobody’s business.

Let me make some few more comments about all this talk on the mosque at
the state house and this imam Fatty character.  I learned very late
about this state house mosque business whilst a member of the defunct
APRC.  Jammeh then explained that he thinks it was a good idea since
the majority of the civil servants at the Quadrangle are Muslims and
there seems to be a tendency for most devout Muslims to arrest work
whenever there is a call for worship.  So the idea was a small mosque
at the State House will be a convenience and a safe of time for
important Government work on Fridays.   I remember some of us objected
for security reasons but the majority in the council prevailed.
Besides there is an Anglican Church next to the seat of Government so
why not a mosque.  The decision to build the mosque was absolutely no
political calculation whatsoever.  I remember Jammeh use to taunt me
for not praying at the mosque...but that was a personal issue based on
a genuine concern for another’s spiritual welfare.

Personally, I think Imam Fatty is a very irresponsible moral leader and
Jammeh needs to put him in his box.  He should confine his “truth” to
the faithful that believes in him.  Disrespecting the moral agency of a
law-abiding Christian school is arrogant, childish and very stupid of
him.  Chastising the President in public and invoking hell on him is
not bravado but poor judgment.  Which Christians are laughing at
Islam?  The last time I check Muslims were the ones incurring the
ridicule of the world upon themselves, and not the Christians.  The
last time I check the Christians I know are doing a lot of good to the
Muslims more than the Muslims have ever done for themselves.  Most of
the schools, clinics and other charities are funded by the Christians
(Kafirs as he calls them) who believe in Jesus Christ and NOT Muhammad
and the Qu’ran.  So what the hell in the world is Imam Fatty preaching
with his Satanic sermons about Islam being the “only true religion”.
Isn’t it also in the Qu’ran that God said that these “Kafirs” or Ah’lul
Kitab are rightfully guided and the righteous amongst them will go to
heaven...?  Imam Fatty should learn that God is a spirit, and can only
be worshipped in SPIRIT AND TRUTH... not in hate and propaganda.

Ebou