GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ousman Gajigo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 11:25:08 -0800
Jabou,
I should have elaborated on my last statement. Of course, opponents of
Jammeh are not adocating a US military intervention. But that is because it
is not needed. Elections may not be perfect in The Gambia but the opposition
in the country had the chance to compete and a chance to win. Jammeh may
have had a huge advantage during the campaign because of all the resource at
his disposal but so do any incumbent in any country. So that's a non-issue.
On the other hand, only someone hallucinating would agree that what happened
in Iraq a few weeks ago was an election. The suffering of Iraqis is a direct
function of Saddam's rule and his war adventures. The sanction was just a
result and there were put in place by the UN. Of course, the sanctions are
adding to the suffering of everyone in that country, especially children
(who are completely innocent) but the ultimate cause of their plight is
Saddam. Remove Saddam today and the suffering of those innocent people would
be gone. I have heard about Ritter but from what I read, he is an exception.
Look, I'm not a fan of the neo-conservative ideology (or the desire to get
cheap oil) that is behind the Bush administration's designs on Iraq. Neither
do I believe that other countries should always be able to decide the
destiny of another country. But there are exceptions. How many people now
are against the removal of Pol Pot by Vietnam? How about the removal of Idi
Amin by Tanzania? Those were perfect instances were invasion of a sovereign
country by another was legitimate because sitting around and waiting for the
citizens of those countries to remove their leaders would mean more tragedy.
If Saddam were just a mere dictator (like many in Africa and Asia) whose
hobbies do not include the invasion of neighboring countries or gasing his
own people, I doubt anyone would be clamoring to remove him - except his own
people.

Ousman