GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Beran jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 08:53:24 -0400
Questions for Jammeh

The Independent (Banjul)

EDITORIAL
August 13, 2001
Posted to the web August 14, 2001

Banjul, the Gambia

Our democracy is under the most acidic test as we prepare ourselves for
October's election show-down. People across the acrimonious political divide
are mud-slinging each other hoping to win the people's favour. The ruling
party accuses the opposition of exaggerating wrongs committed by the APRC.
The opposition on the other hand say the ruling party is intolerant and
forment a climate of hate against its adversaries. All these though do not
take anybody anywhere not least Gambians who over the last couple of years
have rekindled interest in political matters perhaps more that ever before
in our political history.

However, one of the more salient political misgivings entertained in many
quarters have been linked to President Jammeh's dogged refusal to bestow his
blessings on the idea of on-the spot counting of ballots once the polls
close. His curt stance on the issues could very well explain the level of
intolerance for the opposition's view on matters that definitely affect all
Gambians. Jammeh's lame assertion that on-the- spot counting is not anywhere
mandated by our constitution left us all cold and shivering over the
dreariness of our democratic future. It is weird that although the
constitution is loudly silent over the process of vote-counting during
election, the Sami chieftaincy election and the bye-elections results came
after a successful on-the-spot counting of votes was conducted and concluded
without incident. Gambians who have been divided politically all agreed that
the elections were free, fair and transparent. Our democracy received thumbs
up gesture of appreciation internationally.

Another points, which President Jammeh clutched at was that on-the-spot
counting was practised nowhere except Uganda and The Gambia would not second
this so-called exception. While this assertion is incorrect we are left to
wonder whether the President of the Republic has been very conversant with
events around the world. He knows how his "next door brother" Abdoulaye Wade
came to power.

All political pundits agree that one of the more important things ever to
happen in Senegal's elections was the counting of the votes there and then
after the last votes were cast. The same worked well for Ghana, Guinea-
Bissau and Uganda due to its transparent, quick and security-insulated ways
of determining who wins where without the likelihood for the usual
post-election anthem of riggings and irregularly claimed by the opposition.

We would not want the opposition to cry foul over the popular vote. So in
the best interest of reconciliation President Jammeh should consider the
views of the opposition who are important stakeholders in the election
process. It should not cost anything to entertain the opposition, who in all
fairness argued convincingly for on-the -spot counting, which would make
them more trustful of the election process.

Although the security question in polling stations could be a logistical
equation it is not sufficient to stamp a "presidential no" to the idea,
which has proven to be the best bet for everyone in the political game not
least incumbents. It worked in other countries so why can't it work here?