GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha C Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 16:25:43 EDT
Ladies and Gents:
I just received this piece of email from a  friend.  It deals with one of the
numerous awards Yahya Jammeh has somehow managed to finagle.  This award is
the illustrious one presented to AJJ by the American Biographical Institute.

Turns out that Elron Hubbard, the Scientology founder, is also a recipient of
an award from this organization.  Perhaps, this is an explanation for the
Scientology connection.  But mot importantly, this award is given in exchange
for money..
Here is the full text of the email.

[QUOTE]I'm taking a hike, but I've been following the recent debates on the
L.  I
agree with your comments on the Jawara issue.

Well, I've been perusing thru the Dictator's site and on the main Welcome
page, he got a section with his biography.  If you pull up his bio, you will
notice towards the ends that he's got a list of numerous accolades from the
American Biographical Institute.  I had my doubts of course so I went
searching for those guys.  I said to myself, "Who in their right mind would
give this idiot an award."  Well, I did not have to search too far when I
stumbled across the following post about a woman who was asked to pay a
certain amount of money to receive The Woman of The Year Achievement award
from this same ABI.  This excerpt is a reply to her inquiry on the
legitimacy of the ABI. What a hoax by the "president".  I can't believe he
will have all that nonsense on his bio.  It's amazing what people do for
fame and recognition.  Read on...

And the Woman of the Year is [insert your name here]

       Junk mail especially for women this time...

       This latest letter begins, "I am delighted to announce your
nomination for the prestigious title WOMAN OF THE YEAR - 1999. The [American
Biographical Institute's] International Board of Research decided on your
nomination due to your overall accomplishments and contributions to
society". Of course, you don't have to read too much further before you
realise you get to pay $US195 for the privilege (or $US295 if you want

your certificate laminated onto Finland Birch Wood).

       We tried to find out more about the American Biographical Institute
(ABI) for you: after all it is not a crime to set up an awards scheme.
Unfortunately we didn't have much luck - our attempts to contact ABI's
office in North Carolina failed.

  What we can tell you is that L Ron Hubbard is a member (according to
his website anyway). We also know that a search of the Internet will reveal
several people - mostly scientists - who have received "Man of the Year"
awards and have proudly noted this on their CV. Dr Philip Adib Salem, Jiawei
Han, Vladimir Fomichov, Zia Ulla Quer Shi... to name just a few.

       Ever heard of any of them? No? Damn, and it is such a prestigious
award too...

       Here's a tip: if you feel you deserve to be recognised as Woman of
the Year - we are certain many of you do deserve it - take the US$195 you
would have spent had you replied to ABI and get your own certificate made
up. Hang it prominently above your desk at work. If anyone asks, tell them
you were nominated by the American Biographical Institute for Woman of the
Year (if you have received its letter, you won't be lying).

       Seriously, we recommend you think carefully before parting with any
money if you do receive this letter. In our view there is very little
evidence to suggest that this award has any real value.

Regards [End Quote]