GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 08:54:31 EST
Mr Faal will not address the underlying issues . He is attempting to make a
simple observation a heresy trial. No basic tenet of Islam is on dispute
here. Islam is supposed to be a religion and a way of life. It stresses
modesty and the obsolute need for integrity. I made a point of stressing that
people of their own volition can choose to do whatever they want in matters
of faith. I also said the folks who were into the whole brotherhood thing
were happy and seemed spiritually fulfilled. Unlike Mr Faal I am a firm
believer in individual choice and independent thought. He is spending all his
time trying to tag labels on me and making idiotic conclusions that have no
basis in truth. The inculcation of religious knowledge ought to be simple and
straight forward devoid of all the social baggage inherent in our societies.
It is my contention that what I saw at that event went beyond what I believe
is a healthy relationship between educator and a student in some respect.
Granted this was what both parties wanted and may well be the overall basis
for the whole relationship. I simply don't ascribe to it.
Karamba