GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kebba Jobe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 15:47:50 -0000
Barrow, welcome to the real world. Initially, I thought diverse views could
be interchanged freely and maturely on this forum, but to my utter disgust,
all that some want to propagate here is bigotry, naivity, vulagrity and down
right extremism.

I have stated over and over again that the tragic events last April can
never be justified and should not be condomned by any decent people. I
however abhore the sort of message that some on the extreme end of the
pendilum want to propagete to gain cheap popularity from a very tragic
episode. I repect the views of those who, while believing the April incident
was tragic but yet want or are determined to see that justice is done.
However those of us who believe that receonciliation, however hard to
achieve under these trying times, can also be possible some not be treated
as if we murderers.

Access to the internet is becoming easier by the day in the Gambia and those
of us who participate in forums like this should have the decency to choose
our words carefully rather peddling obscenities whenever we have the chance
and trying to instill such hatred between our tiny community. The extremism
I sence in some people's contributions will only breed more tragedy. An eye
for an eye will leave the whole world blind (Mahatma Ghandi). If some of the
students and their families who were directly affected by the tragedy are
slowly but surely coming terms with this very tragic incident, what right
has anybody, living comfortably and safely elsewhere, got to try to force
their very extremist views their throats? The anger and hatred I sence in
some of these people really makes me wonder whether these people are not
capable of worse.

Bye 4Now, KB Jobe.