GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 09:53:18 EDT
Now that the commission has been Gazetted, I wonder how far this has taken
us in terms of getting to the bottom of who ordered the gunning down of our
children and who carried out those orders on April 10 and 11. As I indicated
before, the lack of publication in the Gazette is neither here nor there.
This does not make the existence of the commission null and void. What has
the commission and the inquest achieved so far? They have established that
our children were gunned down on April 10 and 11. The deaths resulted from
bullet wounds. Live ammunitions were used. Am sure there might be one or two
other items I missed. But what is significant is what these proceedings did
not do and are incapable of doing. Literally,  a few days after these
fateful days, Ebou Colly and others on the List saw the lies this government
was trying to peddle and is still peddling in the commission, that criminal
elements other than the police and soldiers shot the fatal bullets. The
government was also saying that rubber bullets were used by their armed
forces. All these blatant lies and many more were vigorously pursued here on
the List and people pointed out how absurd these stories were (with solid
facts). So even though you still have government officials going to the
commission and maintaining that their armory was broken into, every honest
citizen knows that that is a blatant lie. Yet this lie was repeated in front
of the chief justice few days ago. I look forward to seeing how the chief
justice is going to tackle that in his report. I will repeat that no one has
been pointed out as being a trigger-man; hence the chief justice's question:
'did the shooters come from the moon'. One does not have to be an expert
forensic scientist to know that the most important thing in a criminal
investigation / trial is safeguarding the integrity of the evidence (both
physical and oral). List members living in the U.S. might be familiar with
the Jean-Benet Ramsay case. The main reason that case might never be solved
is that the crime scene was not protected right after the murder occurred.
As a result, the evidence was contaminated and even tough scientists like
Henry Lee and lawyers like Barry Schek cannot help break the case. My point
is, when you have a crime, you have to move swiftly and gather evidence you
can use in a trial. That was not done here. On the contrary, silly
commissions were set up to allow government officials to doctor the evidence
and also know the type of evidence that will be used in trial against them.
Like I said before (even without seeing Provision 6. (1) from the Gazette)
strict rules of evidence do not operate in commissions of inquiry. Therefore
some of the oral testimony that is being taken now can be thrown out of
court later on, because for instance, they violate hearsay rules. So both
the oral evidence and the physical evidence these bodies are capable of
unearthing could be very useless in the final analysis. I ask the supporters
of the commission to tell us how they are going to challenge that lieutenant
that came in the other day to say that he checked all the arms and
ammunitions and nothing was awry or challenge the blatant lies uttered by
Ousman Badgie. How do you reconcile that testimony with evidence that
someone died from gunshot wounds where these men operated. An easy way would
have been to take control of those guns the day after the massacre. Am
almost confident that none of the arms and ammunitions used on those days
were inventoried after the fact. Starting from my first posting on this List
on April 18, 2000 (in response to a posting by Foroyaa), I was advocating
for the appointment of an independent private prosecutor. Am convinced that
that is the only way we can get close to what happened on April 10 and 11. A
dedicated prosecutor would have jealously guarded the evidence in this case.
Clearly the inquest and the commission did not do it for us. All the things
they revealed can only be big revelations to gullible people. We on the L
and ordinary Gambians not bent on supporting Yaya at all cost know all along
that rubber bullets were not used. We knew that criminals did not break into
the armory and stole the guns to go shot the kids. We knew that the students
did not break the armory to steal guns to go shot fellow students. We knew
that Yaya gave the orders to shoot the kids. We know a lot of things that we
do not need a bogus commission of inquiry to tell us. The commission would
only succeed in destroying the evidence in this case. So the commission is
Gazetted. Big deal. We urge the concerned Gambians to join us and demand
that the AG stick to his word and appoint a private prosecutor to try and
salvage some of the evidence in this case so that we can have a trial to
punish the culprits in this case. We owe it to the slain children that died
trying to make Gambia a better place for all of us. In that spirit I pledge
$500.00 from my personal funds towards traveling expenses of a prosecutor
from abroad to go to The Gambia to prosecute this case. If the AG is
agreeable, we will raise the funds necessary for the return airfare of such
a prosecutor. We will contact people like lawyer Abdoulie Swareh (Washington
DC) and renown criminal defense attorney Pa Idi Faal (L.A.) to aid in
getting a prosecutor. We will introduce that prosecutor to Gambian lawyers
like Ousman Sillah and the team currently working with the families of the
slain children. We are committed to salvage the little that is left in this
case. Even if we do not have convictions at the end of the day, our slain
children in heaven should know that we tried.
KB