GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mr Makaveli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 04:57:51 -0500
kalilu camara,
 You know, just the other day I wondered where the heck is Karl. Anyway,
welcome back.We also appreciate you telling Mr Jungle Sunrise that the Sun
has Set here and he needs to get his head examined. Karl, I'm sure we all
agree to disagree, and I agree that Jawara's return is great for him but
not necessary the country, and that his safety will be in question. As much
as I believe that Yahya must go, I strongly think Jawara should retire from
politics and probably write history books, and most importantly spend time
with his family.

Jawara's political experience however, cannot be overlooked and should he
decide to give the current opposition leaders a boost to collectively and
decisively boot Jammeh and his cohorts out come October, that Karl, would
be a step in the right direction. Still the fact remains that we have had
Jawara for 30yrs and Jammeh for 7yrs. And their records speak volumes if
left alone. The first marriage was out of convenience and not much came to
fruition after 30yrs and the latter is a bitter and very abusive 7yrs
marriage.

That said, I think it's time we explore other options and we don't have to
look any further. You now have the UDP, the PDOIS and the NRP. Capisce?
Sometimes the choices ain't so clear, but you thank God Almighty when they
are. Clearly neither Jawara nor Jammeh will make it on the ideal list of
candidates for many , using the process of elimination. Both have indeed
tried and failed no matter what angle/yardstick you gauge them.

Sure, it is popular belief that no government is infallible, but when they
are NOT accountable of their shortcomings and refuse to listen to the
genuine voice of its constituents,people no longer put their trust in them.
What the people are pledging today is for the opposition(including Jawara
and all decree 89 politicians)to put their diferences aside, form a united
opposition , and ensure a decisive victory over Mr "7yrs Ago", for all and
sundry. When one considers the alternative, it will be suidicial for the
opposition to think or act otherwise. They should be asking themselves why
Jammeh banned decree 89 2 months prior to the coming elections. Perhaps to
create confusion among the opposition , targeted solely at those greedy
self-centered politicians who are driven and possessed by power to rule by
all means, and in the process increase his chances of stealing/rigging the
elections. To Jammeh, there is always an opportunity in chaos, and if we
can't read between the lines and be mindful of the dire consequences of our
often gullible acts, we are doomed to repeat the same mistakes that
haunted us in the pass, time and time again. Jammeh has already declared
war on the gambian people and there is no better time for our leaders to
unite. the bottomline is the opposition must unite. Case closed!! Kaput.
Anything short of that in my view is a perilous and suicidal decision.

                                              Mr Makaveli (o-:)