GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 11:36:30 EDT
Well put Hamjatta, Karamba and Saul. Again this is a classic case of the
inmates running the asylum. Empty barrels dictating more knowledgeable
people. These people had an opportunity of a life-time (with millions of
dollars) to bring unparalleled development to our country. What did they do?
They stole the bulk of the money and use the rest to engage in some silly
tokenism. They are fond of saying that they built a TV station, several
schools, hospitals (not good enough for their wives to have babies there;
instead their wives are sent abroad to have American babies and passports).
And they compare themselves with the Jawara regime by saying that these
things were not done by Jawara. The argument goes further that, since Yaya
did us the favor of implementing these projects, he is free to abuse us,
order the killing of children, abduct and torture opponents, empty
government coffers, cut the hands of bread-winners (by dismissing them
willy-nilly) and prevent them from feeding their families with dignity. This
is the most preposterous and perverse logic I have ever heard.
For starters, any idiot with more than $35 million can outdo the Jawara
regime. That should not be the threshold. The yardstick should be to measure
Yaya and his cohorts with a government that was brought into power and given
$35 million dollars and told that they are not answerable to a parliament or
the judiciary. A government that if it had the interest of the Gambain at
heart will implement programs that will benefit the whole Gambian community.
What fraction of the Gambian population has access to TV? It is ridiculous
(to say the least) to give a national TV station priority when you cannot
provide adequate electricity for urban dwellers (another small minority
compared to the population in rural communities). It is absurd to spend
millions of dalasis on a TV project while the vast majority of the Gambian
population do not have access to clean drinking water. What would you call a
government that boast about having a TV station when it cannot guarantee the
overwhelming majority of its population (farmers) an environment conducive
to ensuring that the farmers grow their crops and sell it at competitive
rates? I could have gone on and on giving examples to illustrate this
government's misplaced priorities. What these morons did to our country is
unforgivable. When the day of reckoning comes, it would not be a defense to
say that 'we did better than Jawara'. Darn right you should do better than
Jawara. Gambians should have high expectations. If the government does not
deliver on those expectations they should be made aware of that and gotten
rid of.
Hamjatta,  as you rightly pointed out, to add insult to injury, the
government then employs incompetent people to do a despicable job on an
already rotten situation. Some of the competent ones have sold their souls
to the devil and are so scared to propose good ideas to Yaya; afraid that
Yaya will think that they are contradicting him. I wish them luck. If they
do not start treating Yaya like the high school drop out he is, he will lead
us to the gallows.
KB