GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
jamba jobe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 12:19:21 +0000
Nothing was more exciting today than to have heard about the Justice
commission that was set up in Nigeria to review all human rights abuses
committed since 1966. This confirms that justice may tarry but shall never
go astray, the mere fact that past presidents  and military rulers are being
subjected to judicial questioning before a legally composed comission to
answer to allegations brought by the people is clear testimony that the
African people are beggining to put Human Rights at the top of their
political concerns. This therefore is a warning to all those in power, using
brute force to subjugate the people that a day of reckoning is always there.
  I hope a commission of this type would be replicated all over Africa, so
that any  one in position of trust would ensure fair play and the rule of
law instead as is normally the case the rule of might.  The Gambia would
surely have to compose such a commission in future to review all the
violations of Human Rights since 1981 to date. I know a lot of people would
not want to revisit the Jawara era as one of the most henious period coupled
with that of the Jammeh era , many live in a state of denial but Human
Rights violations under Jawara ought to be analysed in as much as that of
Jammeh, they may not belong in the same league but they are equally as bad.
I can recall when Jawara imposed a state of emmergency for almost four
years, may of the draconian laws we see jammeh practice now were then
promulgated, laws such as the notorious indemnity clause. Not only that but
the humilliations that people were subjected daily and the tortures that
went inside the Bakau Barracks all these cannot be just forgotten especially
those who wnt through the ordeal, I can remember elderly statesmen such the
late Alhaji Sulayman Sarr the humilliation and suffering they went through.
All these merit a through review of that dark moment of our history.  As for
Jammeh he would be a fool not to learn, he may control state power now but
the way power eludes is amazing one moment you feel like God the next minute
you become an absolute nonentity, so all the arrogance and the use of
threats is real folly after power belongs to none but the people. If any day
the Gambian peoplke wake up to such a reality it does not matter how many
tanks or missiles you have you would have to go.

I hope you are aware of the reality of such a commission and remember that
all that is beneath the carpet shall one day come out in the open.

As regards the decree you abolished it is a step in the right
direction,eventhough the ramifications are still not very clear, none the
less we are a lot better of without.  Having said that I hope you will
remember that peoplle like DUMO SAHO are still languishing in jail, despite
not being charged against. I would urge you to realease  the brother
unconditionally.  The only crime Dumo has committed was a crime of principle
whiles some of his friends such as Sarjo, Salieu,and many others are
collaborating with you and enjoying the fruits of privilege he refused to
join you thuggery.  I remeber Dumo he is an honest law abiding person with
lots of dignity.  To remove decree whatever and assume us to forget the
crimes of incacerating political prisoners in the name of security is not
only barbaric but cowardly. I would call on all the sisters and brothers to
raise Dumos issue as a matter of priority, we should make a concerted
campaign to ensure that he is release4d uncoditionally.  There cannot be
justice in the country untill such gross violations of rights are stopped,
so the struggle should not only focus on the decrees but H uman rights.