GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 08:55:38 GMT
Gambia-L:

As usual, the e-mail below has come from one of my authoritative sources in
the heart of the Government in the Gambia.

Ebrima Ceesay

Hello Ebrima,

Now that the Yahya Jammeh regime has been rejected by the Gambian
population in no uncertain terms, Yahya and his bandits have resorted to
terrorising us in broad day light as demonstrated in Brikama on Wednesday
where two UPD militants were savagely attacked by the criminals of Jammeh.
But the Gambian people will not be intimidated by these attacks. The Gambian
people, including the UDP, are prepared to die for their God-given right to
free expression and association. The people will continue to defy the
repressive regime of Yahya Jammeh. Gambians have clearly demonstrated to
this illegitimate Government that the AFPRC days are gone forever. We are
determined not to cede the spotlight to Yahya Jammeh and his band of
criminals. That is what this new strategy adopted by the July 22nd Movement
is all about. We have gained the momentum which shall never be relinquished
to Jammeh and his cohorts. We say to Jammeh and to his remaining followers
that the upper-hand shall never be relinquished. You have been clearly
rejected by the majority of Gambians. The rural population has abandoned you
after realising that you have been lying to them for the last six years.
Now, Ebrima, in collaboration with my contacts at the NIA, I would like to
give the general population a few tips on how to ward off future attackers
from these criminals as I did for those who were being kidnapped in the dead
of night. Since the APRC has changed tactics by attacking opponents in broad
day light, we also must review the manner in which we defend ourselves
against the lawlessness that now prevails in our dear country. The following
steps should be taken when confronted by these cowards:

1. Make sure that you carry at all times, a blade knife and/blunt
instrument for self-protection.

2. When approached by these criminals, make sure you display your
knife or let them know that you are also armed for self protection. The
chances are that they will retreat. I know them to be cowards and so does
the general public.

3. Please whenever you are attacked, make sure you attract the attention of
those in the area for assistance. The civilian population will eagerly
assist as most of them are against the APRC, the July 22nd Movement and
anything Government.

4. Please under no account should you seek the assistance of the
POLICE OR THE ARMY. You will be in deeper trouble.

5. Please continue to exercise the measures I recommended some time ago if
the security forces show up in the dead of night. Remember to call family,
relative, once you hear a knock on your door. Let them break the door to
attract the attention of neighbours. When the barbarians change tactic, you
must also change. The population is being requested to be extra vigilant and
to take extra precautionary measures against this illegal, criminal, corrupt
and soon-to-be-dismembered Government.

WE SHALL TRIUMPH AGAINST THIS REPRESSIVE REGIME SHORTLY.