GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
MUSA PEMBO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 10:17:26 +0200

      ISLAMABAD, October 5, 2005  - Asian Muslims, who make up the bulk of the 1.4 billion Muslim population worldwide, celebrate the advent of the holy fasting month of Ramadan this year amid price hikes and security concerns.

      Indonesia, the world's most populous Muslim nation, started fasting Wednesday October 5, along with Malaysia and Muslims in Thailand, and Bangladesh and Indian Muslims were likely to follow suit, according to Agence France Presse (AFP).

      Indonesia was starting Ramadan on a downbeat note after the Bali attacks.

      The start of the holy month was also preceded by an average 126 percent hike in fuel prices and a resulting rise in other commodities, goods and services.

      "Unlike the Ramadan last year, Muslims in Indonesia are entering the holy month not only with joy, but also sadness," the Pikiran Rakyat daily, the country's largest rural newspaper, said in its editorial Tuesday.

      Security and prices were also the main concerns in Pakistan with 150 million people.

      Extra police have been deployed at all mosques and security has been tightened across the southern Asian state, while special committees have been set up to control the prices of food items during Ramadan, officials told AFP.

      Pakistan is set to usher in Ramadan Thursday.

      Bangladesh, the third most populated Muslim majority nation, was hit by three bombs at courthouses Monday October 3, the latest in a series of attacks to hit the country.

      But restaurants were getting ready for a busy month making Iftar.

      "Iftar provides fraternity and equality," said housewife Mousimu Khanom, 35, eating at the popular food stalls in the old quarter of the capital Dhaka.

      Afghanistan declared the start of Ramadan Tuesday after religious scholars sighted the first sliver of the new moon.

      The war-torn state was in a difficult economic situation with some people saying Ramadan ban on eating, smoking and drinking during daylight hours would make little difference to an already destitute population.

      "It's full-time Ramadan here," said Kabul businessman Bahram Sarwary, 33. "In Afghanistan most of the people don't have food to eat, there is no drinking water."

      Muslim Minorities

      In some Asian countries, Muslims make minorities. But still the spirit of Ramadan can easily be felt and seen.

      In mainly Buddhist Thailand, the government said state-owned television would broadcast Tarawih (evening) prayers from Saudi Arabia to villages in the country's Muslim-dominated south.

      "We are being careful," during Ramadan, Thai Defense Minister Thammarak Issarangkura Na Ayutthayahe said this week.

      Prayer calls early Tuesday in the mostly Catholic Philippines ushered in Ramadan for the minority of four million Muslims in the south of the country.

      Armed police patrolled the southern city of Zamboanga saying they were trying to prevent attacks by the extremist group Abu Sayyaf.

      But the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), which has fought for the restoration of an independent Islamic state in the southern Philippines since 1978, said it would help secure the peace during Ramadan.

      There were also hopes for peace in the Indian sector of Kashmir, where steadily improving relations between New Delhi and Islamabad have led to a relative lull in the 16-year bloodbaths.

      Mufti Bashiruddin, the grand mufti of Kashmir, urged Islamists and the Indian security forces to call a ceasefire.

      "Such a move, I'm confident, will have tremendous positive impact on the local population," he said.

      Prices Skyrocketing in Morocco During Ramadan

            RABAT, October 5, 2005 - With the advent of the holy fasting month of Ramadan, prices of basic foodstuffs and commodities have witnessed inexplicable hikes in Morocco despite abundance of such goods in local markets.

            The usual tendency on the part of citizens to stockpile amounts of foodstuffs and vegetables during the early days of Ramadan always brings skyrocketing increases in prices, aggravating the suffering of the poor and low-income brackets who make up a significant percentage of the Moroccan population, according to IOL correspondent.

            Wednesday, October 5, is the first day of Ramadan in the northwestern African monarchy.

            But reports by the ministry of Industry, Trade and Economic Upgrading downplayed the price hikes, saying the basic goods are already available.

            A report by the ministry anticipated, however, a price hike in some products.

            Prices of vegetables soared, according to IOL correspondent, quoting the prices of potatoes, a main component of popular dishes in Morocco, that ranged between two to three Dirhams before Ramadan, but doubled to five Dirhams with the first day of fasting.

            In Morocco, government estimates say 16 million people live under the line of poverty, according to 2005 reports.

            Unemployment rate in Morocco hits 20% among youths, with a further increase in rural areas.

            Commodities

            Official estimates in Morocco usually show a hike in the consumption of food products during the month of fasting, a habit that is typical across the Arab world.

            Moroccans usually use up to 70 million liters of milk, according to government reports, but in Ramadan, 15 million additional liters are to be consumed.

            The ministry of industry said 23,000 tons of meat will be showcased during the holy month while the consumption stands at only 21,000 tons.

            Some 28,000 tons of poultry will also hit the market, according to government statistics.

            Butter consumption in Morocco hits 1,450 tons while in Ramadan the amount usually doubles.

            Moroccans don't normally worry about rice or spices as they are always available on the market in large quantities.

       How Far Removed We Are From the True Spirit of Ramadan
            By Lubna Hussain,

            "You know I used to look forward to Ramadan a lot more when I was in the United States," commented a friend of mine last week. "It was just so different there. Somehow I felt it much more. Do you know what I mean?" I had to think about his question for a few earnest moments as I had never really framed a phenomenon such as this in a comparative context before.

            "Doesn't fasting feel the same wherever you are?" I pursued after having contemplated what I had believed to be the crux of the issue.

            "That's my point," he remarked. "It's not just about the fasting. It's about the whole rationale behind it. That special feeling that you supposedly get after having submitted yourself to God."

            He was right and I knew exactly what he meant. The holy month of Ramadan is more than just a time that Muslims observe by refraining from food and drink. I remember some of my non-Muslim friends in London who, in their ignorance, viewed this as a sort of pointless self-inflicted process of starvation. "You can't even drink water?" they would inquire innocently having failed to grasp the concept that the fast lasts only from dusk until dawn as opposed to a continuous 30-day stint. However, such an outward manifestation actually serves to belie the profundity of a much deeper abstention in which individuals are expected to strive to become closer to God.

            Ramadan is a unique opportunity for all followers of Islam to avail themselves of the mercy and blessings of Almighty Allah. It is a time when we are supposed to reconnect with our spiritual side and cleanse our souls through a process of immense self-discipline and ingenuous introspection. True, it is an essential requirement to experience the basic deprivation of hunger, to know what it must feel like for millions of people who live in a perpetual state such as this without any respite at the setting of the sun. But it is not just about enduring those physical pangs brought on by the denial of basic sustenance. To me, this period is more about cultivating a superior perception of our relationship with God and developing a cognizance of how, in spite of all our self-delusions, we really are insignificant. It is this level of humility that we should endeavor to attain and which subsequently teaches us more about gratitude, understanding and empathy toward others.

            So back to the original question. Why did we both feel that somehow the spirituality of our devotion was somehow lacking here? Like I said before, I truly believe that in order for us to benefit from the lessons learned during this month, we have to sincerely feel the plight and suffering of others. When I used to fast while I was studying at university I would still have to adhere to all the strictures that such a dedicated regime required. There were no special timings. People would be eating and drinking everywhere. I would stay up during the night praying, and still have to function normally during the day without any special privileges afforded to me because of this aspect of my worship. There were days when the sun would set at close to ten at night and rise again a few hours later and yet, rather than rue this hardship, it actually made the whole process seem more rewarding. The breaking of the fast would be a simple affair with some special Ramadan treats and there were very few social events save the communal prayers at the local mosque. The feelings of intense personal satisfaction and achievement were pure and untainted, encompassing a solitary ambition to seek the pleasure of God devoid of any desire for personal glory.

            What disappoints me greatly is the way certain people behave during this inherently private month. It has sadly become, for some, a sorry excuse to have parties with advance bookings stretching back for over a month. A peculiar round of iftars and suhoors that cajole invitees into a world of excess and lavishness with tables creaking under the strain of the 101 dishes all vying for their attention and indulgence. Frankly I find the whole concept of starving all day and then gorging out all night nothing short of sickening. The Islamic faith preaches moderation in all walks of life. To feast your eyes upon the gluttony inspired cuisine manifest on most dinner tables during this holy month shows just how far we have diverged from this central precept.

            There are many who become nocturnal creatures, abandoning their daily routines to antipodean timings. I have been flabbergasted at members of the community who spend the entire day sleeping, waking up in time for the evening prayer so that they may beautify themselves for one of those round-robin gatherings. How then, I wonder, does that make their life any different? How can it be deemed possible to perceive what it must be like to be poor and hungry when instead of sleeping for eight hours during the night, you eat to your heart's content and just swap your regular pattern of rest for a different spot in the day? What's the point?

            There is then sheer pandemonium on the streets with tempers fraying, accidents aplenty and incidents of road rage moments before sunset. A time when we should be busy contemplating the purpose of our fast, where some of the primary objectives are to control one's basal instincts, exhibit self-restraint and show courtesy and consideration to others ahead of oneself. Who would even suspect that anger is forbidden and can serve to nullify the fast?

            The evenings are a time of frenzy. But people are not rushing to the mosques anymore. Shopping malls and cafes are filled to capacity with those who enjoy the carnival atmosphere, forsaking the chance to ponder their raison d'etre in favor of a little after-hours consumerism.

            Indeed, there are certain sectors of government and industry, which in spite of all the sympathetic timings, manage to work to a scenario of virtual standstill. It is as if nothing gets done, a phase in the business cycle that is commercially and quasi-officially suspended in the twilight zone. Matters of course get progressively worse as the Eid draws closer, to such an extent in the last few days that there literally is a common denominator of zero productivity. Most candidly admit that if there is an application to be submitted or a proposal to be made then it is best done "Baad Al-Ramadan" (after Ramadan) to ensure that it gets seen to by an alert individual.

            Another rule that I fail to understand is why eating and drinking openly is a punishable offense when there are so many non-Muslims among us in our community. I know that for a fact, out of pure deference, courtesy and respect, my friends of other denominations would be mortified if they accidentally had a cup of coffee or a sandwich in my presence. But is not one of the purposes of testing our will power to actively refrain from open temptation? Why then should such trials be removed from our way?

            Perhaps for me the most disturbing aspect of some of our behaviors is reflective of an avoidance of the core issues pertaining to Ramadan. It's a shame how creative we can be when it comes to circumventing any minor inconveniences we may face in light of giving up our creature comforts. We have to think deeply about what it is that we are meant to be doing, what the logical motivation is in us being asked to forsake things for the sake of God and how we can benefit fully from this enlightening and glorious month.

            To Muslims the world over, the advent of Ramadan is an opportunity for spiritual renewal. To non-Muslims who see it practiced here it might ironically be perceived as a symbolic reversal of day and night.

            * * *

            - (Lubna Hussain is a Saudi writer. She is based in Riyadh.)

            Fasting Contributes to Good Health
            By Mariam Alireza.

            I would like to start by wishing Muslims all over the world Ramadan Mubarak. May Allah the Almighty bestow upon us the strength, health, and willpower to perform fasting Ramadan with all its other duties. Many articles and columns were written about the religious aspect of Ramadan, but I decided to tackle its health aspect, because nothing enables us to accomplish the duties of Ramadan as much as sound physical, mental and emotional health, determination and clarity of intention.

            I am sure most of us are aware that the state of physical and mental well-being and spirituality are only achievable through healthy lifestyle practices. These emphasize a well-balanced nutrition along with plenty of water, regular activity, stress management, adequate sleep, anger control, positive thinking, forgiveness, tolerance, spirituality, prayer, meditation, and good familial and social relationships.

            Some of us would find these requirements difficult to implement, while others are eager to adapt them to their lives, because they are aware of their importance or might have experienced their effectiveness on their physical, mental, and emotional balance, vital energy and spirituality.

            One of Ramadan's obligations is abstinence from food (I am not going to discuss the spiritual or the behavioral aspect of fasting), which is meant to unburden the body of excess weight, cleanse the different body systems, clarify the spirit, and purify the intention. Scientific evidence has recently discovered some of the physiological boons of fasts. With fasting, a dormant gene that leads to longevity is stimulated. Groups of people are actually practicing calorie-restriction and fasts, not for religious reasons but for achieving health balance through weight loss and detoxification; keeping disease-free; and prolonging their lifespan. If science and modern medicine have just uncovered the benefits of fasting Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him) revealed that 1,400 years ago by advising "fast and you will become healthy."

            For this reason and more, we should not be surprised that God has ordained periods of fast for Muslims, Christians, and Jews, emphasizing its good effects on human health and spirituality. However, we seem to have strayed from the core of this concept and become a nation, which is obsessed with indulging in overeating during this month rather than eating sensibly after sunset. Ordinary meals have turned into lavish and irresistible banquets, aborting the whole spirit of fasting, which requires moderation and self-restraint instead.

            To break fast at magrib (sunset) time, we should start with a few dates and fruit along with plenty of water to hydrate the body and keep light in order to pray without the discomforts of flatulence and indigestion. The meal following prayer should be simple but nourishing, consisting of whole grains, vegetables, legumes, and proteins in reasonable portions. Fried fatty foods and rich syrupy desserts abort all efforts of reaping health benefits with fasting and rob physical energy and mental alertness.

            Overindulgence is taxing on the digestive system, leaving the body lethargic and sapped of vitality, whereas lighter meals at iftar (breaking fast) and plenty of water energize the body, stimulate the brain, and sharpen the senses. Sahoor (the last meal before dawn) should be even simpler but nutrient-rich. Nibbling on rich and fatty snacks and sweetened drinks can lead to weight gain, while drinking lots of water or herbal teas and munching a few nuts, in moderation, with a fruit or yogurt give energy without burdening the digestive tract.

            Regular activity should not be omitted during Ramadan. Scientific evidence indicated that physical training suppresses cravings and tames unruly appetites through the stimulation of the hormone leptin. Allocate a half hour for walking, jogging, or other aerobic and body building exercises. It is not impossible! Find an exercise partner or a walking companion. I am sure your invitation would be appreciated. Keep your bottle of water close by during training. Regular exercises reduce nibbling; suppress untamed appetites; lift the mood; and enhance sleep.

            Finally, take your ration of sleep, a major aspect of lifestyle that should be adhered to. Unfortunately, night sleeping hours are very limited during Ramadan. Night sleep is very essential for physical and mental health. Physiologically, night sleep helps the body and brain cells to repair and function effectively. It also boosts the immune fighting cells against disease and provides physical energy and mental alertness. Such vital health increases spirituality to perform fasting, prayer, and other duties required of us during this holy month.

            I may sound redundant in stating the obvious, but I find it important to emphasize moderation, moderation and moderation. A balance in all lifestyle practices should promote physical, mental and emotional health. Such a balance leads to a disease-free body and mind, vital energy, wellness, and longevity, adding to joie-de-vivre, while fasting offers, maintains and even restores physical, mental and emotional equilibrium.

            Enjoy the blessings that come with Ramadan, keeping in mind all stipulations in Islam not only come with direct or indirect benefits to performing Muslims but they are also comfortably doable. Allah, the Merciful, reassures us of that "... God wills that you shall have ease, and does not will you to suffer hardship..." (Chapter: 2; Verse: 185).

            - (Mariam Alireza is a holistic science specialist. Send comments to [log in to unmask])

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい