GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 00:40:35 GMT
Mr. Jarju,

As someone who has lived over half his life in the West, I'm a little
disappointed that you don't see anything wrong with how the Independent
reporters were treated at Jammeh's orders. If you know of an instance where
Dr. King, Malcom X, or Farrakhan was ARRESTED in a libel case, I'm all ears.
I bet you won't find a single such case! Neither does any Hollywood
celebrity send police officers to pick up reporters b/c of what they've
written. Even if this is tabloid journalism as you're claiming it is, the
treatment meted out to the Independent reporters is unfair and illegal!

I understand and respect that it's your right to support Jammeh blindly. But
just as an advice, take a second look at some issues. Like they say, "what
goes around, comes around." Some day, it might be Mafy Jarju, or  his
brother/friend who gets treated so unjustly. Just remember that. It wouldn't
kill you to be objective - just once.

Saul.