GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Emmanuel N'Dow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Apr 2000 12:29:05 PDT
kuts <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Mr Saidy,
                You might not know this but there was a similar
demonstration in 1971 in which all the schools in Banjul and environs
participitated. The police were unable to control us,they had to call for
help from the Field Force,who were able to control the situation after
several hours!!I can't remember any serious injuries ,there were certainly
no fatalities!! The "Deporians" were illitirate but they were definately not
PHILISTINES!!
  KUTS
I participated in that demonstration, it began opposit Gambia High School and
it was staged  to protest President Senghore's speech in which he accused the
Gambia of causing Senegal's economic woes. Senghore was on a stste visit to
the Gambia and the demonstration was lead by Crispin Grey Johnson, Koro Sallah
and some members of the "Kent Street Vous" along with Lena Manga then on
holidays from the U.S; I was not arrested but my friend Pa Joof of fame Soto
Koto Vous was; yes kuts your're right the field force were called in but
nobody got killed either. It seems to me though illiterate, the field force
understood freedom of speech better than these "sheep in wool clothing" i.e
thugs mascarading as soldiers. Tombong you might want to visit the achives to
that demonstration, you might learn a thing or two about civil disobediance
and how to deal with it.
Daddy Sang