GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bulli Dibba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 04:20:26 CDT
Public service is an extension of citizenship. Clearly the idea of civic
virtue, at least in the democratic ideal, incorporates the notion of
service to the public. In Gambia for example, the baby boomers are
retiring, there is huge generation gap, we losing our values and culture to
western influence, over 90% of high school teachers are foreigners. For
this and many other reasons, our discussion of democratic theory must
attend to the duties and responsibilities of every Gambian. A part of our
discussion on this great forum should not only include how we could extend
help to Gambia but be related to idea of service to our beloved country.
The virtuous citizen obviously is a citizen engaged in the work of the
community and to serve others.

My brothers and sisters it is time for every Gambian leaving in Diaspora to
take the idea of democratic citizenship and imply it as a duty or
obligation on our part, to contribute to the betterment of our country. I
am aware of the financial contributions many Gambians are making towards
their families and love ones back in the Gambia. Our postings on the Gambia
–L indication that Gambians are concerned about the situations in the
Gambia, but the impulse to engage in public processes extends beyond
leaving in Diaspora and writing letters or emails. Gambia is home and we
can choose to run away from her but we cannot hide from her and her
problems. Our people back in the Gambia needs full time commitment from us
leaving in Diaspora, to engage in what we typically call “ public service.”
Yes , Gambia like many other countries including the USA is experiencing
economic hardship. Now the question is what could we do change that
temporal situation?. I belief the time for finger pointing and blame game
has passed, there is debt of service due from every educated Gambian to our
nation. The current social and economic problems in the Gambia are our and
only we the Gambians could solve them. There should be a common willingness
from many of us to consider returning to the Gambia to step forward and
assume the burdens of public service. That would be an honorable thing to
do.The call to public service should be based on the responsibility of all
citizens to serve in various ways. We could all serve our country in
different ways, some of us could run for elective public office, some of us
could work in an agency of government-in social services, public health,
law enforcement, some could work outside government, perhaps in a non
profit organization or in a public advocacy role.

Remember folks, our presence in the Gambia, we are likely to be motivated
by the desire to make a difference, to improve the lives of our fellow
citizens, to do something meaningful with their lives, to do something “
significant.” It is my belief that through active participation in the
welfare of our nation and its people, working with the government officials
and abiding by the rules and laws of the nation, we can most likely achieve
the best political outcomes, outcomes that would reflect the broad
judgments of the people as a whole. Through widespread public participation
in civic affairs and in nation building, we can help assure that the
individual and collective interests are being heard and responded to by the
government officials.

The sheer complexity of today’s society makes civic involvement difficult.
The pressures of making a living, raising children, and meeting all the
other demands of modern life mean that many of us would choose to leave in
Diaspora and simply feel we don’t have enough energy for the problems of
Gambia and public service. We owe it to our children to make Gambia a
better place. As citizens of Gambia, it is important to recognize that
making our country and our communities better requires at the very least
our presence, our cooperation, and ideally, our active involvement. By
definition, our government belongs to us and is our responsibility. We can
and should have high expectations for government, but for government to
work well, it needs active citizenship. It is our right, duty, and
privilege to serve our country.

Finally, we the educated Gambians in Diaspora can ask ourselves whether we
would perhaps find more meaning, higher purpose, and greater significance
in our knowledge and in our lives if we choose to abandon our country for
greener pasture in the west. There are greater opportunities and tremendous
satisfactions to be gained in working toward making Gambia better for our
selves and for our children, serving our people, and pursuing something
larger and more important than ourselves. As individuals, as public
servants, and as a nation, we must have the integrity, the strength, and
the commitment to be honest with ourselves and to work continually to be
true to our shared values. We need to rebuild the spirit of public service
throughout Gambia to the benefit of all. Despite the economic difficulties,
Gambia is the best country in our region and our better days are still
ahead of us.

Long live the Gambia

Peace