GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 14:06:32 -0400
Gentlemen,

It is unfortunate that the very people in the Diaspora—specifically on these cyber forums, who have on occasion accused the opposition party leaders as selfish, and not responsive to the plight of the Gambians, are now mired in pettiness, self righteousness and defending their own egos. We can keep trying to find all the self-justification in the world, but at the end of the day, we have to practice what we preach to other people.

When the idea was first unveiled in April, with a preamble and work in- progress guidelines, one thing was very clear, the unspoken ultimate objective: to equip us—Diasporeans, with the financial muscle, so that we can bring about an effective political change in the Gambia. Clearly, we recognized our different partisan leanings and some of the other complex issues that we would eventually have to deal with, How to bring about a coalition? who is going to be the leader of the coalition ? And a variety of other land mines that we will have to confront head on. But the reality at this juncture is that, the financial muscle will give us access to have a voice, and with this voice we can pursue the very issues that we would like to see. In the US—a bastion of democracy, you are only considered a serious presidential candidate if you can demonstrate the ability to raise funds. It is important to support the people that have already undertaken the fundraising function. We can continue the debate without impeding the process that has already begun.

Finally, let us all be part of the process with our financial contributions, giving out constructive feedbacks and avoid the tone and temperament of the recent exchanges. It will only destroy the important work ahead.

Musa Jeng