GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ousman Bojang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 15:50:24 -0800
It so is sad. May his Soul Rest in Perfect Peace. My condolences to the family. I did not know Alberr died too awhile ago. May grant all those who passes Jannah.

Ousman Jallow Bojang.
 Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:Hi All,

Truely sad day for Gambia. Pa Touray's death is a great loss to the nation and marks perhaps a definite demise of a generation of musicians that championed the uniquely Gambian Afro Manding sound.

While I join every one in mourning the death of Pa Touray, I am aslo disturbed by the cultural questions his death provokes. My generation has not known any other group of musicians in Gambia that magically captured the imagination of an entire youth population. Ifang Bondi bloomed in the Gambia of the 70s at a peirod of immense musical creativity and artistic innovativeness around our region in West Africa. There was serious competition from Guelewar, there was Laba Sosseh and Étoiles de Dakar in Senegal, Rail Band in Mali and especially Bembeya from Sekou Touray's Guinea. Many younger Gambian musicians have formed constellations of one shade or another but I doubt if any has yet matched the originality of Ifang Bondi's music as climaxed in songs like Saaraba, Nyepeto, Koto Waali, Yolele, Duuma Julo, and others. Yet Ifang's organisational tenacity proved impossible to prevent its division before it made a lasting impact on the international stage beyond Africa's frontiers. Why did that happen?

Many of us have come to know Abess at a personal level while he lived in Sweden. The Organisation of Gambians in Sweden had engaged the group on a number of occassions for culturally rewarding performances in Stockholm since the mid eighties. We grew to love and respect Pa Touray as a brother and an extremely talented musician. He has greatly enriched the lives of so many people who still take delight in his music. I am extending my heartfelt condolences to his travelling companions in Ifang Bondi (Karamo, Badou Jobe, Kunon Jarjutay, the inhabitants of Kelebes Kunda (...and remembering Alberr who died a long while ago), Chaala and Jatou Njai and the entire extended family. May Allah shower him with much mercy and eternal peace.

Momodou S Sidibeh