GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 16:01:46 GMT
Gambia-L:

The e-mail below, as usual, has come from one of my sources in the Gambia.

Ebrima Ceesay

Ebrima,

Tell Latirr Downes-Thomas that he has a difficult task in his hands to
document the names of those individuals sacked or retired prematurely under
Yahya Jammeh. Because, Ebrima, the last time I check our records, and this
was a long time ago, about 52 persons had been dismissed by the dictator.
And this figure, Ebrima, did not even include, say, those in the Security
Forces such as the Army or the Police Force. This dismissal list just goes
on and on. Anyway, I am writing to tell Latirr Thomas to add the name of
Cherno B Touray, the Commissioner of Central River Division (CRD), to his
List because Cherno alias "Law" has just been dismissed from his post. He
(Cherrno) has been sacked as a result of the statement attributed to him by
one of the witnesses at the Inquiry in which he, Cherno, was quoted as
saying that "the order to shoot the children had come from Yahya Jammeh".
And guest what? Cherno is being replaced in his post as Commissioner of CRD
by none other than Momodou Bojang, former SoS at the Interior and also a
former Commissioner of CRD.

Update on Cheyaasin Secka: Ebrima, a search is still on by the Kanilai
butcher to find a replacement for Cheyassin Secka, but he has not yet found
one. Once he finds someone Cheyassin will go. So far, Yahya Jammeh has
approached four seasoned lawyers, but they all declined to serve under him.
Most people have now learned their lessons. They all know that Yahya just
uses people and dumps them after they have done the dirty job for him. All
the same, once a suitable replacement is found to man the AG chambers,
Cheyassin will go. And, Ebrima, as I send you this piece, further
investigations by the NIA and Forces into the background and activities of
Cheyassin Secka are going on. These investigations so far revealed that he
still maintains strong links with Almamy Sabally alias "Rambo" (by the way
"these people" are all fascinated by the Rambo character). Remember that
Yahya himself is also nicknamed "Rambo". So was the late Almamo Manneh.
Anyway, Ebrima, this Sabally is the chief body guard of Charles Taylor who,
by the way, has been incriminated in documents obtained by the BBC from the
Sierra Leone police in gun running in exchange for diamonds. Charles Taylor
has been caught red handed this time around. So let us see what he has to
say about this one. Ebrima, by the way, I now concur with you when you said
recently that Yahya Jammeh may change his mind about a particular decision
he wants to take if he realises that it has been leaked or revealed on the L
in advance. Next time if he plans to sack or arrest someone innocent, I'll
leak it to the L, so that that can stop his pending action. But from now on,
if I do know that he is about to dismiss or arrest someone I consider an
"enemy" of the Gambian people, then I'll only report it on the L after the
action has been effected; otherwise, if leaked to the L, he may, as you
said, change his mind on the decision.