GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bamba Laye Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 11:41:34 -0700
"Kebba Jobe",

Here's a forwarded copy of my response to one of your dumps sometime ago.
This was when you were confused with what name to use.."Daddy Nying" or
"Kebba Jobe".

Your true colors are showing up. I don't have to dwell on your pettiness.
Call me angry, kid or whatever. It just shows your true colors. You are the
last one to think that we living away from Gambia are out of touch with what
is going on. Talk about narrow-mindedness.
Why are you soliciting a debate if you think we are out of touch? What do
you expect to gain from debating with people who are out of touch? See your
twisted logic? I'll let KB and Ebrima continue untwining your twistings with
amusement.
>  Subject: Kebba>>Re: So Much For Priorities???
>
>  Mr. Jobe,
>
>  As I promised earlier today, I can finally squeeze in a few minutes to
give
>  you a more fitting response. In the few lines to follow, I will attempt
>  relate the plight of Gambian farmers to the areas you highlighted as
>  positive developments and examine any correlation between the two.
>
>  On Education:
>  You argued that education is a pre-requisite for development. No qualms
>  there. That is factual. Development and enhancement of the human faculty
is
>  fundamental for economic success. How does this tie in with the farmers'
>  plight? Consider this personal story. I was born and raised in a farming
>  family where my humble father toiled every single year on his many farms
>  have a good harvest so that he can provide for mine and my siblings'
needs
>  for school as well as clothing and other needs. From the small money he
>  gets, he invested in our education knowingly relying on the competence
and
>  capabilities of the facilities at our local school and teachers to help
us
>  become what we are today. From this meager sum he would also reward us
for
>  the help we gave him at the farm by buying new clothing, shoes and money
for
>  lunch at school. We always looked forward to this time of the year.
Sounds
> [...]
built?
>  Most parents would rather send their kids to go find other means of
feeding
>  the family. This, you will agree, does not help to break the cycle of
>  illiteracy neither help the development of human faculty for a successful
>  economy. It does not make it cheaper or more accessible for the poor
farmers
>  either.
>
>  On health:
>  Majority of these farmers live in areas far off from big towns. They will
>  not only have to come up with hospital fees and money for medication in
the
>  case of an illness but also have to find means of transporting the sick
>  and from the hospital over despicable road conditions. Not all of these
>  hospitals have a functioning emergency vehicle. Even where they do,
chances
>  are, the patient will have to provide for the fuel and sometimes pay the
>  driver to transport them to the hospital. Will the poor farmer waiting
for
>  his dues be able to afford such expenses? They will have to settle in for
>  traditional medication or hopelessly watch their loved ones wither away.
>  What good does the hospital do to the poor farmer? Where they are lucky
>  get access to the hospital facilities, they might have to settle in for
>  inexperienced practitioners with very little amenities. When they are
lucky
>  to see a doctor, they will still need to come up with funds to buy the
>  prescribed medication, which in most cases, is only available at one of
>  major pharmacies in Banjul or Serrekunda!
>  Improving the standards at the existing hospitals making sure they are
fully
>  equipped with experienced personnel and ready supply of medications would
>  have been a better alternative from building more hospitals that will
only
>  serve for political score points.
>
>  What I'm trying to say here is that yes, you can build more schools and
>  hospitals but that does not necessarily make it easier or cheaper for the
>  farmers if they are not earning their dues. The government cannot afford
>  maintain these facilities, provide the equipment or maintain the
personnel.
>  So don't even think about providing the services free or cheaper for the
>  poor farmers.
>
>  What we need of the government is a better distribution of resources and
>  setting priorities that will reflect effective strategies for a
successful
>  economy, not political score points for APRC. How can these people tell
us
>  that they are working for the people when in all their actions one can
>  clearly see that they are only helping in bringing the economy down? Just
>  look at what has been done to the tourism industry and now agriculture.
What
>  is this governments' strategy for economic development, if they have one?
>  think they can learn one or two things form the people of Mauritius.
>
>  Enjoy your day.
>
>  Abdoulie A. Jallow
>  Toll-free number: 1-888-392-4832(Excite2)
>  Personal extension for v/mail/fax: 291-368-1519

Abdoulie A. Jallow
www.dalasigram.com
Making sending funds home more fun than hassle.
402-639-1105