GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 2005 14:21:31 -0500
Hello, and assalamu alaikum / greetings all, Ramadan mubarak...  No
matter which day you decided to start fasting...

Habib, you wrote:

what kills me is that they are the same folks who would stress the
EXACT time to pary to the second and to break the fast according to
the astronomical
calculations at sunset exatctly as published in the ews papers and yet
when it comes to start the ramadan they find all sorts of excuses to
gain some extra
days !!!

While this might be meant as a joke, the way I was taught is that you
don't necessarily go strictly by astronomcial calculations when
breaking fast, that you should look out the window and make sure the
sun has set before breaking fast.  Not only this, I've also seen the
same people who start with Saudi or whoever declares Ramadan first, to
also be the same people to break fast on a timetable rather than to
look outside and be sure the sun has set.  And do you know, my
brother, who is not Muslim, is already asking me when the sun sets
here, and he has no problem letting me know when it's time to break my
fast.  lol...

As far as when to start, some are going with the Muslim world / Saudi
Arabia and start today, while many are starting tomorrow, and I've
been told both are fine.  Zaytuna, Institute, which I'd hardly call an
"indo-pac" organization, is starting tomorrow...

     Please let's not try to make this an even more contentious issue
than it already is.

--
Visit my blog at: http://GinnysThoughts.blogspot.com/

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい