GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Thomas Forster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 13:32:11 +1200
On 24 Jan 00 at 12:14, B.M.Jones wrote:

> Fighting corruption
>
> Our short economic history is replete with pervasive
> corruption. In recognition of government corruption,
> economists have been studying the effects of corruption (E.
> Banfield, 1975), focusing on the principal-agent model of
> corruption. This model focuses on the relationship between
> the principal, i.e. the top level of government, and the
> agent, i.e. an official who takes the bribes from the
> private individual.  These studies examine ways of
> motivating the agent to be honest ranging from efficiency
> to indoctrination.

Good Analysis Basil.  I however feel that the principal-agent model
should be expanded further and  not only be confined to the level of
top government and officials.  The principal-agent model I feel also
applies between top government officials being the agents here and
the general public being the principals.  Corruption is at all levels
and we (the public) as principals have entrusted the
government/politicians through the political process to run the
country on our behalf because we are unable to do so and that is
what democracy is about (in my opinion).  However, we should be able
to provide sufficient incentives for the agents (the government) from
shirking in their responsibilities and serving their own
self-interest.

Tom