GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bamba Laye Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 09:14:04 -0700
Buharry,

Thank you for that enlightening synopsis on "Justice in Times of
Transition."
It is quite obvious that our beloved Gambia will have to deal with the
issues highlighted. Take a look at the following for instance:

"The new government often faces a situation where civil society is virtually
absent, having been destroyed by years of repression. There may be little
public understanding of democratic principles, such as the rule of law. The
civilian government may be faced with a powerful and possibly antagonistic
military, and with severe economic problems."

This is already happening in Gambia today and can only get worse if
something is not done about it. Kudos to PDOIS and all others who are
striving to make sure that we have an enlightened civil society. Let me
bring your attention to these words of wisdom by Henry Brougham:

"Education makes people easy to lead, but difficult to drive; easy
to govern, but impossible to enslave."

Damage control and restoration have to start now if our future leaders
expect to have a country to lead. What is going on now, if not curbed, will
take ages to recouperate. I urge all peace loving Gambians to start looking
into ways and means of restoring sanity in the aftermath of the dissolution
of this pitiful joke we have as a leadership today.

Enjoy your day.

Abdoulie A. Jallow
Toll-free number: 1-888-392-4832(Excite2)
Personal extension for v/mail/fax: 291-368-1519