GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 15:10:07 +0100
Edi

You wrote;

"Joseph Joof has once again deceived and lied to
Gambians that the abolishment of second round of
voting will bring peace and saved resources in future
elections."

Edi

I really agree with you here. Joseph Joof would have
been right if second voting of voting was ever
exercised in the Gambia nad the incumbent won with a
landslide. In fact Joseph Joof should have advocated
for both Presidential and National Assembly Elections
be held on the same day as was the case during the
First Republic. The current provision where elections
for Presidential and National Elections are held on
different dates is definitely a waste of resources and
its normally open to abuse by the winner of the
Presidential Elections.

You also wrote

"Joof is the most dishonest and unethical Attorney
General the Gambia, has ever had in history. This
young man had compromised all his ethics, I doubt if
he had any, for the sake of money and position. He
pioneered all these bad and repressive laws in the
country. Chief among them is the infamous and
draconian media Commission Act , the Indemnity Act,
which gave license to the security forces to kill
without facing any court of law. He also championed
the amendment of the local government Act among host
of others. Here is a man who claimed his job is to
advise the president on legal matters. He verily knew
what is doing is wrong and he continue to give wrong
advises to Gambia’s dictator."

Edi

Well, most of these so called amendments started
during Pap Cheyassin's tenure. In other words the
destruction of our constitution was first conceived
during Pap Cheyassin's tenure, but now its been
delivered during Joseph Joof's tenure. In my view Joof
and Secka are just the same individuals by character.
They have made a lot of amendments to our Constitution
than any of our previous AG's

You then wrote

"Joof fails to realise is that he is not only doing
disservice to himself and the country, but to the
future leaders of this impoverished country. All these
laws are man made and can be scrapped one day. I doubt
whether he like Jammeh as he claimed. All these
draconian laws he is advising Jammeh to come up with
is only intended to further discredit the young man’s
regime. Such laws have no place in any true
democracy."
Edi
This man lost all intergity when he decided to take up
the post of AG not realising that he had already
participated in a Commission of Inquiry which had
accused the government of wrong doing-See Commission
of Inquiry into the April Massacre.

You also wrote;
"The Bar Association should sanction AG’s who are
found of abusing their positions. Joof’s type should
not be allowed to be part of the Bar after they are
fired. They have nothing to offer to this country. He
should learn from his predecessor Pap Cheyassin Secka.
Pap had ceased going to court representing litigants.
He told a close friend that he had been used and
abused by the regime and he can’t see eye to eye with
his colleagues. He admitted that he had wronged the
people of this country by allowing the regime to use
him for their dirty work. Joof wake up from your
slumber and reconcile with the realities on the
ground. You have sell your integrity for money and
position. This is shame. You have deviated from your
orginal promise. When you were sworn into office you
promise to uphold and defend the constitution. This is
not the case today. With these constitutional
battering and gross human right violations, we believe
you have a different agenda. "

Edi

God will never let us down, the likes of Joof and
Secka will one day face the reality. They have
betrayed the Gambian people but not giving Presient
Jammeh  honest legal advise. The Bar Association don't
need sanction Joof, he will be sanctioned by his own
conscience. Pap Cheyassin Secka's decision to cease
going to court representing litigants is an example.
The man can't the judges, lawyers that he tried to
intimidate during his short tenure as AG. Don't forget
it was Pap Cheyassin who tried relentless to make sure
that Ousainou and 25 other UDP supporters be detained
for a bogus criminal charge of MURDER.

Finally you wrote;

"You can be best remembered for being the worst AG.
Since you came in you have not bring any development
in your Department. Instead you are bent on tampering
with the second Republic’s constitution. Sometime, you
behave as if your boss Jammeh owns the constitution.
This constitution you are tampering was endorsed by
Gambians through a referrandum. You don’t have the
courtesy and respect to sound their opinion on some of
these changes you are effecting. Well, we are not
surprise, because this is what obtains in dictatorship
regimes like yours."
The problem with JHJoof is this he might have been a
good lawyer, however he does not a good litigation
record on CONSTITUTIONAL LAW cases. And for that
matter, one must not surprised with his latest dubious
reasons for amending the constitution.

Good weekend

Sanusi