GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 15:15:50 -0500
Jammeh Changes Tack Over Veil Palaver

The Independent (Banjul)
DOCUMENT
August 18, 2003
Posted to the web August 18, 2003
Banjul

Almost a month after he controversially declared that veils would not be
worn in Christian schools by the beginning of the school calendar in
September, President Jammeh has suddenly discovered a middle line,
admonishing both Christians and Muslims to resort to their holy books to
settle the thorny issue.

We reproduce parts of the president's statement addressed to members of the
Supreme Islamic Council, the Christian Council and the diplomatic corp when
they called on him at State House recently.

"You cannot force anybody to be a good Muslim or a good Christian. The love
of God must come from the person's heart. Gambians have lived peacefully in
this country, irrespective of their religious affiliation or inclination.

Muslims, Christians and Animists have lived in this country peacefully
throughout her history (that is, modern history or since the colonial
period, at least).

If you think that this is the time to break that peace between Christians
and Muslims in this country, in the time of Yahya Jammeh, you are making a
great mistake. I have seen elements of intolerance on both sides. People
whipping up religious hatred.

If you are a member of the police force serving under the Inspector
General, I don't think you should be more policeman than the Inspector
General himself.

What I am saying is that we believe in the Supremacy of the Almighty God,
whose Supremacy cannot be challenged. His authority cannot be challenged.
If He has given us the liberty to choose within humanity what religion we
want to follow, if we believe in that same God, we should understand that
we cannot force others to follow our religion or the religion we think is
the best. If you do that, you are challenging God and the wishes of God in
allowing us to be free to choose whatever religion we want to belong to. It
is stated nowhere in the Quran or the Bible, (and I'm conversant with both
holy books).

According to the Quran, you cannot be a lawyer (the advocate) for anybody
(on the Day of Judgment or in the hereafter). Not even the Imam could stand
up in defense of his life on this earth before God's court.

You cannot even stand up and defend your children, nor can your children
defend you. So it is an individual problem.

If we want to increase the number of Muslims or to increase the number of
Christians, you have to appeal to the people, but don't antagonize them.
They will not join your religion, and this would be a great disservice in
terms of doing your duty (as a preacher) before the Almighty Allah.

The Veil

I gave directives. It was not a decree as seen in some quarters - there is
a difference between a decree and a directive. What I said was - let them
permit the veil, only the veil. The reason is that I wanted to know who
were behind wearing the veil, because it has never been an issue in our
society.

When the directives were given, and to show that they were not really
interested in religion, but trouble making they started saying that we
don't talk to Christians. In fact, they said that as from now we are not
only after the veil, but women must cover up their entire bodies by the
Hijab.

A school is a school. In purely Islamic institutions, boys and girls do not
mix. Now what is the use of the veil when you wear it and mix with boys and
then after school you are found in discotheques and on the beach with boys
and girls?

What type of religion are you after - let us not be pretentious. You are
either a good Muslim or a bad one. You are either a bad Christian or a good
one. But where on earth did the Quran say you, as Muslims should not talk
to Christians?

Institutions have to be respected. A Christian school is a Christian
school. We have to abide by the rules and regulations of that school.

Because when it comes to the laws that apply in our Muslim schools, that
is, the Madrassas or Arabic Islamic schools, you will not allow somebody to
wear the Cross and come to the school, because you say that is not part of
your uniform. So also, if you go to a Christian school, you are expected
abide by the rules and regulations of that school.

And, one thing you should also do on both sides - Christians and Muslims -
is that you should confine religion to the churches and the mosques.

Let us not go beyond that. Let us preach what is in the Quran and in the
Bible, that is, peace and love for humanity irrespective of creed, religion
and race.

There have been a lot of comments and letters received. You will be asking
why the diplomats are also here. It is so that they will also get the
message - that this is a country that is secular, and it will remain a
secular.

If you want to be a good Muslim, be a good Muslim because at the end of the
day, no matter how many people follow you, when you go to hell or heaven,
you cannot defend anyone along with you, because God alone decides and
judges based on what the individual has done.

I am talking in terms of both Christians and Muslims. In God's heaven, God
is after a good human being who has done good, who has obeyed his
commandments, irrespective of what religion we are talking about.

If you obey God's command, and do good according to the Bible and Quran and
other holy books, you will see the Kingdom of God. Period.

Intolerance would not take us anywhere, and if you are intolerant, you are
in the wrong country because I am not going to tolerate intolerance, be it
from the Muslims or Christians in this country.

If you think that the people are not pure Muslims, pure enough for you
leave the country, because I am not going to compromise the security and
stability of this country.

Gambians have forever lived with each other peacefully. There was a time in
the past, if it was Christmas you will think that the whole country are
Christian and, if it is Tobaski or Koriteh, you think that the whole
country are Muslim. This the way it is going to stay!