GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
EAGLE EYES <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 13:14:13 +0000
Our Gambia has reached a situation where even though we seem to be
physically alive but morally we are dead. Nothing seems to be working/moving
apart from praise singing and disillusiomment.

Go to the market today and buy a fish for 2.50 dalasis. Return the following
day and it has doubled. Matches are not even spared. Even our cheapest bonga
fish is becoming unaffordable for the average Gambian. Everything seems to
be competing for costlyness.

Go to schools. Performances are poor. English and Maths are the poorest
subjects. What has become of our beloved nation? When a head is rotten, the
whole body will be affected.Gambia cannot be ruled from a remote corner like
Kanilai. The  President self turned Zoologist must must come out of his
bunker to face the realities.
We have a high consuming economy and low production. Youths are also lazy as
compared to our others in the subregion.

Nawec is not doing us any better. Infact those living in villages are sure
of their hurricanes burning daily than we are sure of electricity. We claim
to live in urban areas; really in urban areas but not actually living urban
lives but hamlet lives. We can hardly go on for a whole 24hrs without Nawec
taking light off. Sometimes I wonder whether it is not better to go back and
live in my village for there I know I will have candle/hurricane or my local
fire.

As a result of price hikes, our salaries are no  longer able to feed our
families. Take a UQ teacher for example who earns less than six hundred
dalasis. A bag of rice is almost 500 dalasis and bonga is D5. He would nave
finished all his money in 20days time if no other expesnes are made. How
about rent, school bill for children. Fare to go to school. No wonder every
teacher today writes a handout and calls it a book which students are forced
to buy or fail their exams.
Something must happen otherwise we will be heading for the bottom of the
sea. I will stop here and will continue later. All have a good day.

JAH BLESS THE RIGHTEOUS