GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 02:16:03 GMT
Guys,

You've represented my thoughts entirely. I was desperately praying that
someone from UDP will add to Karamba's excuse. Because that's all it is: a
sad excuse. I can't believe Karamba himself truly believes what he's said to
be a reason. I wasn't done with this topic at all. But now that you've
forced my hand, I'll raise some questions:

How can the top opposition party in our country not afford to buy an eight
hundred dollar ($800.00) communication device dedicated to exchanging ideas
with Gambians around the world? Where is the seriousness and dedication
here? Don't the UDP have a professional staff? Don't they have Communication
mechanisms in place? Don't they regard exchanges with Gambians as necessary?
What is their idea of being accountable to the people? How is the party
being funded? How are those funds being spent? Can the UDP provide a
credible accounting of those funds? Is there a separation between UDP
personalities as individuals and the party as a formal political entity?
These are but a few of the questions I have for the UDP.

We all want Yaya Jammeh out. But, it's very disheartening to see the UDP -as
the largest party, being so inept and incompetent- to say the least! It's
great to tell us Gambians what is wrong with Yaya, and why people shouldn't
vote for him. However, it would be even better to give Gambians a good
reason why they should vote for the UDP. There has to be a better reason
than merely pointing out the madness of the APRC. Given my serious
disappointment with PDOIS, I'm dying to have a reason to support UDP besides
my dislike of anything Yaya Jammeh. Right now, I just don't have any. CAN
ANYONE IN THE UDP LEADERSHIP GIVE ME A REASON WHY I, AND PEOPLE LIKE ME,
SHOULD SUPPORT THE UDP besides the obvious?

(Karamba: No offense intended, but I want to hear from an official of the
UDP this time. They do have at least one computer. Don't they?)

Saul.