GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Jeng, Beran" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 19:20:36 -0400
'I do not respond to rumours'
The Daily Observer
July 10, 2000
By Kalifa Sanyang
Banjul - Speculations have been rife around town that the government is not
happy with the attorney general and secretary of state for Justice, Pap
Cheyassin Secka, and has been scouting for his a replacement for him.
The brief absence of Mr. Secka from office for two days this week has fuelled
the speculations. On Thursday and Friday, he was seen at work. However, the
rumours persist that his writing was on the wall.
The rumours said Mr. Secka fell foul of the corridors of power because he
promised to put Darboe and his co-accused in remanded custody and failed.
The rumours said the attorney general was refused audience with the president
mid this week.
The Sunday Observer called Mr. Secka at his Kololi residence at 6pm yesterday,
to clarify the matter, but he tersely said, "I am still the Attorney General as
far as I am concerned. I don't respond to rumours."
He said it was left to rumour peddlers and listeners to speculate.
Asked if he was refused audience with the president as reported, Mr. Secka said
his discussions with the president had always been "official and confidential."
As to how he felt about the story, Mr. Secka retorted, "You seem to be
persistent, but I don't think you can get anymore from me. As I said, I don't
respond to rumours and I am just hearing this now from you."