GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kebba Dibba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2005 14:18:38 +0000
The Independent (Banjul)
OPINION

  December 2, 2005
Posted to the web December 2, 2005
Banjul

  The diplomatic shake-up between The Gambia and Senegal that led to the border closure was indeed very disheartening.
  Thanks that the two heads of state were concerned about the impasse and opted for their right decision to settle the dispute. I must commend President Jammeh for spearheading the reconciliation by humbly visiting his father for a family discussion in Dakar. The sole purpose of this write-up does not aim to dwell on the bitter past event that occurred between The Gambia and Senegal, rather I want to elaborate and recall some issues that strongly bind the two countries. One might either love or hate it, but the fact is that no matter what happens, Senegambia is inseparable - "bennaa boppa la ken munut ko harr nyarr".

  Consequently, the relationship between the two countries dates back to pre-colonial times. Physically looking at the people of the two countries, it is almost impossible for one to distinguish the Senegalese from the Gambian when you consider traits that differentiate Gambians from other nationals.

  The binding factors that led to the peaceful co-existence of Senegambians are mainly language, culture, religion and territory. I intend to briefly elaborate these factors.
  The language is a factor deeply rooted within the Senegambian region. In Africa, it is only in Senegal and The Gambia that Wollof is spoken and understood. Other languages and ethnic groups such as Mandika, Fula, Jola, Serere, Manjago, Sarahule and so on, are found on both sides of the border. This facilitated interaction among peoples of both countries. Not only are people in Senegambia of the same ethnic groups, but they also share the same cultural and traditional values. The wedding ceremonies, christenings and funeral services, etc all have the same procedures and connotations.

  Another attractive force of the region is based on religion. To a great extent, religion has played a pivotal role in unifying the two countries.

  Although both countries claim to possess over 90% Muslims, yet Christians and Traditional Believers also enjoy a fair share of the Senegambian cake, thus making religious tolerance a paramount feature in the lives of the people. Religious consultations in both Christianity and Islam are found in both Senegal and The Gambia. We have sects - Tijaania, Layen, Mouridism and places such as Poponguine, Kerr Moussa where they usually attend each other's ceremonies.

  In fact, there are several international religious associations existing in the two countries. Among the unifying forces of Senegambia, we have the territorial aspect, which is the most important. For this reason I often feel ashamed of myself anytime I reach that so called border line between Amdalaye and Karang because looking at both sides of the border, all you see is the same people standing in the same soil under the same climate. This boundary line was the deadliest weapon that the colonialists used to destroy and disintegrate the Senegambia family. So why beat your chest and boast of being either Senegalese or Gambian?

  It is indeed unfortunate that the white man has succeeded in separating people of the same paternal and maternal backgrounds. Certainly, almost every Gambian possesses a Senegalese relative and vise versa, meaning that a quarrel between the two people is like a quarrel in the same family. Despite the similarity in ethnicity, there is also a great similarity in some of our settlement areas like Niumi, Foni, Saloum, Fulladu etc, which are found in both Senegal and The Gambia.

  It is in this vain that we Senegambians should understand that it was only in the interest of colonialists to divide and rule us. Therefore, as Senegambians we must wake up from the deep slumber and forge ahead in unity with one love, one heart and one destiny. Remember that if we should be at loggerheads with each other that would be a chance for the devil to conquer and thus have an easy ride over us. Once again, I reiterate that Senegambians are of one big family that should and would never be disintegrated. This is a genetic make up that must be jealously guarded to the last drop. The Njies, Jallows, Mannehs, Ceesays, Tunkaras and Mendys to name a few, are all testimonies of both countries bonds.

  Finally, I cannot surrender my pen without most respectfully pleading to both governments to consider the following suggestions for a mutual benefit.
  Let there be closer trade links between the two countries where the flow of goods and services would occur freely over the borders. This activity, I believe, would go a long way in not only enhancing the Senegambian economy, but also create employment for the citizenry.

  In terms of security, it would also be very important for the two countries' security forces to collaborate. Perhaps, a fusion of the two military units would be very helpful in solidifying security within the region.

  An exchange of development strategies between the two countries where professionals, experts and intellectuals exchange ideas on development issues would also be very beneficial to the Senegambian people. In doing so, there would be the need for further cooperation in the fields of Agriculture, Education, Communication, Health, Infrastructures and other key sectors of the development.

  The possible introduction of a single currency for the two countries could also be scrutinized because it would create better trade links and economic integration that would enhance the chances of penetrating the global market system.
  I regard the re-establishment of the Senegambian Confederation, as it will be very vital at this point in time. For this reason, the need for a genuine confederation governed by sincerity and justice, for the interest of both citizens cannot be underestimated. Hence both countries need each other for development and a confederation would definitely pave way for the realization of all the other suggestions mentioned above, and thus create a better opportunity for achievement of an enhanced standard of living for Senegambians.

  To conclude, I wish to call on all Senegambians to come together in peace, love and harmony in the interest of Senegambia and Mama Africa. I therefore pray for Allah's blessings for a peaceful, progressive and happy Senegambian nation that would simmer down to the entire African continent and the world at large.

  Long Live The Gambia, Long live Senegambia and Long live Africa!
  Ebrima Jabbi University of The Gambia