GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Sep 2007 13:13:06 EDT
A breath of fresh air sorely needed.

To the newspapers The Point and Foroyaa, please refrain from unbridled
competition for news and pitting citizens against one another. The spirit ought  to
be a furtherance of national enterprise and dialogue. This is hardly the
issue to demonstrate journalistic prowess. One paper is a news and information
outlet. The other is a party organ which aims to educate on civic matters. It
is  a high wire act when we expand our scopes for circulation sakes. At the end
of  the day, you must reconnoitre and determine what added value your paper
is to  the lives of your audience. It is tempting to confuse roles in a lawless
 society. But the overarching goal is to trim around the edges of these and
those  extremeties.

No single human being is any more important than the lowliest among us in
matters of national enterprise.

I thank UGAMA in their attempt to further inform us.For mine own part, I
view it as not taking sides among citizens but to stay true north toward goals
and objectives. Not all citizens may agree on more than two items but all
citizens must bear their compasses in unison. Perhaps the uncertainties of
lattitude will be tempered by similar uncertainties in longitude. Gaucherie,
charlatanry, and sycophancy are not the domain of the singular individual among
many when the discourse is commoner good.

Haruna. God speed!!