GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"B.M.Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 15:21:17 +0000
Sidi

Thanks for the posting on the economic summit. It's about
time that the IMF and World Bank reorientate and refocus
their policies and lending on the plight of African
countries. Which is the fight against poverty and
destitution.

We have suffered enormously and overwhelmed under the
claws of successive and numerous conditionalities imposed
by these institutions. In our own particular circumstance in
the Gambia, my position has always been that despite the
rhetoric of macroeconimic gains, there has always been
difficulties in translating these macro gains to tangible
micro benefits for the resource poor rural sector for whom
poverty reduction is more paramount.Villagers knows nothing
about interest rate and all he/she cares about is improving
his livelihood and providing health and education
opportunities for his family.

The emphasis on macroeconomic stability, and structural
reforms i.e. privatization and the objective of getting the
prices right, has not solved the engrained and endemic
poverty issues of the Gambia. It is imperative that
economic policy formulation in Africa charts in new path. I
think the Africa-Gabon summit is a step in the right
direction.

I also read that the IMF now have a poverty reduction and
growth facility where the emphasis is on poverty reduction,
governance and civil society participation.  This is a
welcome departure from the short term view of the economy
taken by the IMF and more in line with the long term view
of the World Bank.

Having said that, we should not lose sight of the fact the
prudent macroeconmic management of the economy is essential
for long term development and growth. For it is only when
the economy is growing and providing opportunities for the
marginalized of society can we honestly say that there is
improvements in living standards of the Gambian people. I
hope the policy makers will now give renewed focus and
emphasis on reducing infant mortality rates and increasing
school enrollment ratio rather than the narrow macroeconomic
objectives.

basil