GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
panderry mbai <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 01:29:43 +0000
INDEPENDENT OBSERVER NEWS MEDIA NETWORK

  A "BURIED TRUTH, SHALL RISE" AGAIN-WHO WAS DARBOE FOOLING?

                                              EDITORIAL

  A "buried truth shall rise" again. Despite our past news items and editorials on the NADD leadership crisis, some so called NADD fans took it upon themselves to accused us of "inventing news" and smearing the image of UDP leader Ousainou Darboe, with the ultimate aim of undermining the opposition coalition. The resignation of Darboe from NADD is a clear confirmation to our past news reports and editorials. As journalists, we do not "invent news" or smear people's image as erroneously implied by our detractors. We report the truth and nothing but the truth.

  We remember running an editorial on Darboe's planned move to part with NADD. Darboe, himself denied the piece and told a local paper in The Gambia that he will "never opt to leave NADD. He even went as far as saying that such news were "cooked"  by the enemies of the opposition. Now the question that comes to mind is:Who was Darboe, fooling? Not us anyway. Perhaps, his followers. Our leaders should practice  what they preach. The press is too smart to be fooled by such "cover up statements" calculated to play with the gallery. We have nothing against Darboe, but we feel that he is taking a "wrong decision, at wrong time and at a wrong place."

  Darboe, should have make his position clear at the signing of  NADD'S  Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) before associating himself with NADD. His action can be viewed as "time wasting and an attempt" to give more advantage to dictator Jammeh, who is hell bent on undermining the rights and freedoms of Gambians. His move to part with NADD, will no doubt have  far reaching political ramifications for the opposition, in view of  Jammeh's "divide and rule politics."  The likes of Jali Touray, FJC will no doubt assure Jammeh and "an election victory" since the opposition cannot put their house in order. One thing Darboe and his followers failed to realise is that such a political break way will not be in the interest of either  the UDP, NRP, GPP, PPP, NDAM or PDOIS. We  called  his move as a "political suicide" and will cost the opposition dearly. United we  stand, divided we  fall.

  It is never too later for Darboe, to revisit his decision and team up with his colleagues to rescue Gambians from self perpetuating rule. Mr.Darboe, should remember that the interest of The Gambia, is bigger than individual interest and as such he should be seen as a role model and not otherwise. This is not the time for the opposition to blame one another for the current leadership impasse. This is not the time to impose any candidate on NADD. This is not the time to betray the true spirit of NADD'S MOU, signed at the Palm Grove Hotel. We expect leaders such as Darboe to agree and disagree on issues of national interest and not to take such a "retrogressive" political decision, as rightly described by NADD supporters.

  Darboe,  like any other political leader in The Gambia, suffered under Jammeh's repressive rule and we cannot still comprehend the motive behind Darboe's move to part with his colleagues. We are beginning to doubt the sincerity and commitment of Darboe, in rescuing Gambians from Jammeh's dictatorial rule. Time will tell. The truth be told,  if this man, who cannot agree with his colleagues on the leadership issue, what will happened if elected as a President? These are dangerous signs for Gambia's fragile democracy. We seem to be heading towards the wrong path. Greed, self aggrandisement, love for power is dividing the fabric of Gambia's society. This is the reality.

  NADD, was the last hope for Gambians to effect democratic change. With Darboe, parting with the coalition, the hopes and aspirations of citizens had been dazed away. None of these parties can successfully posed as a threat to Jammeh. They can only make it under a unified front and not the type of move adopted by the UDP. Our country, will not forgive those bent on undermining the democratic process, by putting personal interest ahead of national interest. Our people have seen all kind of hardship, political persecution and forced rule under Yahya's watch. Darboe should heed to the growing demand for change and reconsider his decision in the interest of the country.

  In other countries, he cannot just walk out from NADD after his party had benefited from "hard earned funds" raised by Gambians abroad to facilitate the activities of NADD. People, who contributed to the said funds have all rights to seek legal redress for breach of confidence on the side of Darboe. This is no joke. Darboe, shouldn't have accepted any money from these folks,  if he had the plans to quit NADD at this hour. We do know that several thousands of dalasis were spent in the just concluded by elections, which led to the victory of UDP's Kemesseng Jammeh. These funds were from Gambians abroad, who worked very hard to remit such monies to the NADD leadership.

  It is imperative to note that Darboe's political snub against NADD, will lead to another by election in Jarra West. The IEC is posed to organise another by election following this developments. NADD is faced with a problem. If our previous calls to name a flag bearer, was heeded at the time of the signing of the MOU, there wouldn't be a problem of this magnitude. Is this another  "JANGFA" against NADD or political betrayal? We hope Darboe and his team will clear the air. We ask again:Who was Darboe, fooling? Not Ebrima G Sanakareh and Pa Nderry. We are vindicated again. We rest our case....

    The author is the former Secretary General of The Gambia Press Union and also the Voice Of America, radio Banjul Correspondent. Mr.M'Bai, who now resides in the US State Of North Carolina, Raleigh, NC was also a leading senior political and Crime reporter with the Daily Observer and the Point Newspapers respectively. He can be reached at the following email addresses: [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask]