GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 12:50:54 GMT
Hamjatta,

I just finishing reading this piece. Considering how hard below-the- belt
Halifa has hit you (that whole "diapers," "kid's gloves," and "charlatan"
insults,)it's admirable to see you play the matured party here. And I
wouldn't change a thing about your conclusions. We do have a common enemy,
and I hope Halifa will muster the courage to take him on like he did the PPP
people so that come the next elections, Yaya would be in Abdou Joof's shoes.
Abdou has but a few weeks before he is thrown out. Dr. Saine has an idea
which if implemented, will bring about the change we all seek back home.
Simply, in any free and fair elections, Yaya will loose. So, we should do
all we can to contribute to the creation of that free and fair political
environment. I'm willing to give anything I can to that venture.

Regarding our debate, it has been stuck for a while. So why beat a dead
horse? Maybe some day, we'll have the chance to take it up again. But unless
Mr. Sallah has something really compelling to say, there's no point in going
forward. Your conclusion mirrors my sentiments. So, I'd rather we aim our
guns at the MAIN problem.

I want to take this opportunity to say that it's been a great pleasure
partnering with you (even if accidentally.) If I were to be morooned on some
remote island, I'd rather be with you than many self-acclaimed matured
people making petty noise here. I only care for people who speak their mind
w/o looking around to see who agrees with them. And if one can complement
that with a fast brain, that's a bonus. So, my friend, keep saying exactly
what you believe; question things as much as you can (there's indeed a big
difference between "perception" and "reality,") and you'll be just fine. I'm
just about ten years your senior, but if it means anything, get used to
baseless and false labels. If they mean anything, I'll be DEAD by now!
Believe me. But when you remain true to your conscience, you might never be
the most popular guy around (in fact many will call you "controversial,"
"crazy," "demagogue," etc -read the Autobiography of Malcom X; I have an old
copy if you need it,) but when the dust settles, you'll never hang your
head. Just a little early morning tip . . .

Peace.

Saul.