GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
malik kah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 11:15:08 +0000
>From: malik kah <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: JAMMEH , INFANTILE SPEECH
>Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 10:14:07 +0000
>
>The problem with the leadership of the country is failure to acknowledge
>the
>blatant reality that the country is experiencing an   ecionomic
>melt-down. At the moment even the lay man in the streets have realised that
>there is something amiss. The day to day experince of the people is the
>fact
>that commodities of all sort are in the increase and there is no tangible
>explanation given to  re-assure them . One had hoped that Jammeh
>would take the initiative in his July speech, to explain to the people the
>state of the economy and why the Dalasi is performing so poorly against
>other currencies, alas this was not to be, instead he took  the pulpit
>with his aggressive sermons  blaming everyone for everything but himself
>and his administration. In fact the nearest he got to explaining why the
>dalasi was having a free fall was when he lamented on the fact that we only
>export groundnuts and that is the reason why the dalasi is performing so
>poorly. True to a point, but  this is just one facet of the equation but it
>does not give the
>whole picture, after-all this has been the case ever since but the dalasi
>use to enjoy relative stability.
>
>It is my fervent belief that Jammeh erred in his speech because he has
>raised more issues than hitherto existed, in fact he has if anything left
>more questions unanswered. By indulging in such a speech which lacks both
>merit and substance, it leaves one to question his true statesmanship. I
>think it would be an understatement to say that the speech was unwise and
>ill-advised. The speech was ilconceived, after all this was an opportune
>moment when he could have stolen the lime-light come up with a very mature
>and dignified speech, instead he he went on the rant saying things that
>would not help forster a healthy relationship with other people and
>countries. He definately stole the limelight for the wrong reasons.
>
>His assertion that Gambian male are lazy is a notion that was perpetrated
>by the colonialist, so for him to continue in that vein is completely
>wrong. I for one have travelled the length and breadth of the country and
>all I can testify to is that men up and down the country by and large are
>hard working, of course they take time to sit in the BANTABAS where else
>would they  go to in those highly humid and hostile environments.
It is convenient to sit in an air-conditioned office or car and dish to
those who seek shelter from the hot sun that can literally bake you.

Travelling the country all you see is both men and women working together in
partnership trying to scrape for survival using outdated oumoded tools that
can wear off anyone.

The government's responsibility is to help these people consigned their back
breaking tools to the musuems. By mechanising agriculture and linking it to
manufacturing a catalyst for development would be set in motion and there
will be no need for a lot of people to go farming. After all science and
technology has the solution to man power problems, in this day and age only
a small percentage need to go into farming, after all the tractors and
combine harvesters are there to do the work, hence it is needless to
castigate the youths simply because they do not want to go into farming.
After all many of those were born in the rural areas  have bigger ambitions
than their parents, that is precisely why most of them go to the urban and
peri-urban areas to  seek for better prospects. Their parents have lived and
work till death without being able to provide basic necessities such as a
good house, clean water, proper education, good clothing etc how can anyone
one blame such a group for having high ambitions beggars belief.

The president in his speech and one's preceeding that have constantly harped
on not being a politician, if that is the case why bother staying in
politics it would be very easy to exit, after all no one is holding him to
ransome to stay as politician. He should make up his mind after being in the
job for 8yrs now. I think all these are excuses and we cannot any longer
afford any excuses. His task therefore is to learn to become a politician,
after all one cannot occupy a surgeons position and keep saying that you are
not a surgeon. Imagine the costly mistakes the people will bear under such
circumstances. I think based on this comparison one can appreciate the
position the president finds himself.

Statements about the neighbouring countries were not minced they were raw
and penchant, itm would have been wise of him not to clinch his fist and vow
with threats. In a sub-region that have seen so much may-hem it is wise to
temper the language in other to compound already difficult relations. Our
geo-political position is such that except by sea no nation can attack us
witout having to get senegal's permission for air space or land passage
usage. I cannot envisage a scenario were this could happen, hence it is
logical to assdume that all the flexing was directed to Senegal. Knowing
that senegal is three or more times the size of the Gambia they  can just
walk through and effect a change of regime, especially when the regime is a
bully regime. There will not be any support in defence of such a regime,
this is precisely why Jammeh should be more mindful of his utterances and
not allow himself to be carried away by the hype.

He made a point on compassion, and I do agree with him that big nations
should demonstrate that in other to earn respect instead  of operating a
policy of thuggery. But the question that emanates from this is, has Jammeh
shown this same compassion? well from, the case of Dumo and co as well as
Sana Sabally one can say that he lacks that compassion. How can one ask for
something one does not have it leaves a contradiction, I hope he understand
the moral high ground is not about chest pounding but actions in deed. I
think it is about timne for all those illegally confined to be released,
this way one can occupy the moral high to argue about ones case.

In conclusion I would say tha it takes a lot to be a true statesman, just by
occupying a position and controlling the instrumentsn of oppression does not
make one a great man. A great statesman's schtick must be dignity, gravitas,
wisdom, dependability, awareness, compassion truth and justice. The question
now uis does Jammeh have such qualities-I LEAVE THAT TO BE ANSWERED.