GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
chernob jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 14:11:38 PST
                        Dr. Saine's Proposals: Sensible....

Some of us G-Lers are proud of Dr. Saine's proposals for better governance
in The Gambia. We ought to be. Why? Because his proposals have
transmogrified us from being mere critics, constantly sending a volley of
acerbic commentaries on the coarsening of the affairs of governance in our
dear Motherland,into policy initiators, putting in place, a formula for a
healthier political environment, genuine democracy strengthened with
constitutionalism and liberalism,in our society. Dr. Saine's proposals have
honoured one of the essential tenets of constructive criticism: He who
criticises must provide alternatives. And the alternatives include:

* A truth and reconcialition commission

* Unbanning all political parties

* A constitutional clause for term-limits

* Equal access to media outlets

These are sensible proposals. And they rest at the very heart of the
Gambia's political and economic emancipation from the incapacity to maintain
a flourishing democratic system, leavening the livelihoods of its citizenry.
The current political system in The Gambia is skewed and tyrannical. To call
it democratic is at best a misnomer; at worst, an affront to the collective
conscience of the Gambian people.

Jammeh says he and his colleagues cannot be held accountable for their
actions in the past; he deliberately expunged from the constitution,
term-limits for the presidency, a political demand, a majority of Gambians
had forwarded to the Constitutional Review Committee; he banned all pre-coup
parties except PDOIS - the list continues.

Meanwhile, flagrant human rights abuses continue unabated. Mysterious deaths
from the November 11 incident to Koro Ceesay, others, continue to sully our
country's image and gnaw at our political sanity and
civility. Economic hopelessness continues to push Gambians to lunatic
fringes. Ostentation and extravagance characterize the public lives of our
leaders. Corruption is permeating the political psyche again. The trammels
of military-civilian-dictatorship are pushing the citizenry to Stygian
depths of ignorance, gullibility, fear and suppression.

The Gambia is a throwback to the past. Jawaraism - or rather a ghastly
version of it - is well-steeped in current-day Gambian political
consciousness, enfeebling the feasibility of
a new-fangled political process,disencumbered of the past and compatible
with the present. Leadership legerdemain germinates quickly in an
environment unaccustomed to accountability and transparency of leaders, and
unwilling to submit to the sovereignty of citizens. All good governments are
chiseled out of accountability and transparency to their subjects, and no
government can be good and democratic if it becomes more powerful than its
citizenry.

That's the inescapable fact of reality about The Gambia. The APRC
government, that initially seized power and surreptitiously changed into a
civilian administration, having skewed the transitional process to their
favour, weeding out most political parties, dehumanizing political
opponents, and creating a political climate of fear and repression,
continues to be unblushingly unaccountable to the people.

Which is why the electorate must, at all times, seize the opportunity to
call its government to account, and check on its unbridled recalcitrance and
abuse of power. By Dr. Saine's proposals, Gambia-L is doing that. And
democratically so.

                         ....And Toothless

To visualize what you can't see,in the words of the Ugandan poet Richard
Nitru,is simply a paradoxical pleasure of the mind. In our case, Dr. Saine's
proposals, much as they are sensible, do not carry with them, assurances of
compliance. And that's the only tragedy afflicting his proposals. And the
tragedy is not Dr. Saine's own making; rather it is the handiwork of a
deleterious political climate repugnant to governmental and leadership
reformism.

This is not the first time, proposals like Dr. Saine's,have emanated from
concerned Gambians, but all were consigned to the ash-can. In wolly
utopinianism,Dr. Saine's proposals make us wish for what is highyly
unattainable, atleast by Jammeh's own resistance to political changes. He
displays a tempestuous aversion to political calculation and reformation,
frustrating, times without number, national efforts at proper governance.

In an ideal Gambian political world, we would love to see our leaders become
accountable and transparent to us, be servants not masters,to us; resign
from office when we doubt their integrity; leave office after a certain
period; debate with political opponents on national tv; allow political
parties access to national media to propagate their platforms; allow the
press unfettered access to information relevant to the national good;
members of both the ruling and opposing parties dissenting on their parties'
proposals, rather than clinging to egocentric partisanship.

This ideal world eluded us during the days of Jawara, and we are no where
close to it in these days. Jammeh like Jawara before him, is puffing up a
self-perpetuating image to make The Gambia his own private hacienda. Always
a soldier, never a democrat, Jammeh will find any judgement calls for
democratic changes an anathema to his authoritarianism. But how we wish Dr.
Saine's proposals are accepted by Jammeh and are acted upon with immediacy.
How we wish we even use force to implement his proposals! But then that
would be self-defeatist, for no true democratic changes can be instituted by
force, but rather through the willingness and free-will offering of both the
leaders and the led.

So here is to the intractability of Dr. Saine's proposals. Sensible but
without the clout to guarantee their practicality. Since
the feasibility of his proposals is contingent upon an attitudinal change of
an unreformed, illiberal, unchecked leadership, we had better temper our
expectations with restraint. It's not simply a matter of crass pessmism. Far
from it.

Cherno Baba Jallow
Detroit, MI