GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 21:20:21 EDT
There comes a time in the life of a nation in which people simply have to
choose. In our case Gambians must now make a choice between subjecting
themselves to the machinations of an evil man at the helm of a brutal regime
who will stop at nothing in imposing himself on them or they would resolve to
stop at nothing in their bid to terminate once and for all the very ominous
trend toward enslavement. Yahya Jammeh is intolerant and barbaric and has
designs that bode ill for all decent human beings. In light of that fact it
is near folly for one to believe that he has any intentions of fostering an
environment in which our people can choose their leaders. Every available
evidence point to a regime bent on fomenting violence by attacking, abducting
and attempting to assassinate innocent citizens. Their strategy is meant to
make the political atmosphere so noxious that the Gambian people would be
overwhelmed by hazards of theregime's tactics that they would just succumb to
their Libyan Jamahirriyya model of  a no election dictatorship. They have
convinced themselves that if Gambians are killed and tortured in sufficient
numbers the people would simply surrender their nation . The regime is
acutely aware that they can't win any nationwide election regardless of the
circumstances in which it is conducted. They simply can't. They have hence
crafted  what they deem to be the perfect fall back position . At the heart
of their plan is to manufacture the appearance of tension and blame it on
their most potent opponents (UDP). This way they can use their corrupt
administrative apparatus to come with bogus sanctions that are solely aimed
at hobbling the opposition to a point where they won't be able to campaign
but falling short of an outright ban . This way they can always say
opposition politics is alive and well while at the sametime doing everything
to to make the UDP functionally handicapped in doing the kind retail politics
that relies heavily on rallies. Rallies are also the only way the UDP can
reach voters who have little access to the private media that covers them
since GRTS as a matter of policy just tows the gov't line.  Consequently  I
believe Gambians preferred route to democracy may be doomed  by Yahya
Jammeh's penchant for violence and evil. He will not compete fairly or
squarely and he is prepared to murder people to sustain himself. The fact
that lawyer darboe and his supporters excaped assasination in Basse gives no
solace to those who still harbor the believe that there is a chance the
nation can limp along till the scheduled elections within the next 12 months.
If anything it portends greater  bloodletting as a recalciterent tyrant faces
an increasingly defiant citizenry no longer willing to lie down and play
dead. The time has come for us all to come to the inevitable conclusion that
Yahya Jammeh is a monster  intent on devouring our nation  and removing him
must take precedence and would have to be at all cost. We must all put
together a battleplan  and do what it takes to execute it. There is no middle
ground because attempting to either work within or moderate a regime that
excels at destroying the very fabric of our society is a losing proposition.
It will only prolong an already aweful situation. There will be plenty of
time for all of us come together and bicker about the intricacies of various
issues of governace. For now we must get rid of this monster.
Karamba