GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ousman Bojang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 10:20:41 EST
Saul,
You already said almost everything I need to say. The only difference we have
is that I would rather take Jammeh over Jawara for what ever reason do not
ask.
What Boto Jaiteh fail to understand is that we are undergoing all these
things he mentioned because of what Jawara seeded. It is just time to
cultivate.
All the intellectual Jaiteh mentioned including we the young ones who all
have to flee the country for a mere education above high school, Jawara owe
us an explanation. In the jawara ere after 30 years of ruling, for a Gambian
to have a good Teacher Certificate one has to go to a foreign land? After 30
years of independence the Gambia relied on the food coming through the River
by ships.
Mr. Jaiteh, I must tell you under jawara some of us did suffer too. It is
logical to me to hear that Jawara was such a good guy when in Form Three in
high school I had to be smuggled by the CIDs just from class and interrogated
without my parents consent and detained for over 24hrs. How much sense would
it make to any one whose 80 year old uncle had to die a day after two years
of detention without a trial? How does it feel when one's father had to be
put behind bars for over two years without a charge and even denied a family
visitation? How does it feel when one has to be called for an interview at
the President's office and as a Gambian citizen be denied a job for your
parents are oppositions?
I am sure Jaiteh might not have an answer for me but I bet jawara will. So
Mr. Jaiteh the old man has a lot to answer to.
You mentioned the so called free education we had when we had to buy our own
books and furniture to go to school. Some even had to build their own
buildings in the provinces. Now tell me where is the free education is.
Remember our parents were paying taxes to get the teachers paid.
And telling us that the Gambia had a better medical program is not true
either. Do you know that in the time of Jawara some people who were
privileged go to abroad for medical treatments others were dying from at the
tax payers cost? And yes it is cheaper to see a dentist or a dermatologist in
the Gambia then, but it still is. Being a medical care giver at the moment
and daily dealing wit Insurance companies on the new PPS and Medicare
meetings on daily bases, I can tell you that it is unreasonably expensive,
but you get what you pay for. The US health care system sucks compared to the
whole world but it has one of the best preventable measures.
So Mr. Jaiteh people like you need to write to Jawara and ask him some of
these questions before telling us that he is a better leader than dictator
Jemus. Jammeh is more than dictator, but we have to go through him before
getting to a better leader other the two and looking at the leading
oppositions toady, the future looks very deem. Tell me why would I support an
opposition leader who will run to seek refuge before results are counted. I
think the UDP are better off with Lamin Juwara leading than giving another
chance to Darboe. He is such an educated person but it does not make one a
good leader.

Ousman Bojang.