GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 16:04:21 +0000
The sooner people accept that appeals do not work with dictators, the better
for all of us.  The brute closed SUD FM cold and we want to waste our time
appealing to conscience where there is none.  How long will it take folks to
realize that from the shoulders and upward, Jammeh is dense with starch.
Just look at his picture on his way to meet with Wade and you tell me if the
man looked well?  You'll will agree that he looked like a nutcase and he is
one.  I do not know how Wade was able contain his laughter through a couple
of hours meeting, with that "Pakin" stretched out in front of him.  If folks
want to waste their time to appeal to the Dix, I'm not one to stop them
though.  Please read on.

Radio Station Closed Down

  Email This Page

Print This Page

Visit The Publisher's Site

Media Foundation for West Africa (Accra)

PRESS RELEASE
October 25, 2005
Posted to the web October 26, 2005

On October 22, 2005 the Gambian authorities ordered the closure of "Sud FM
Banjul Radio", a subsidiary of Senegal's Sud Communications Company Limited.

Although no reason was given for the closure, the order came barely 48-hours
after President Yahya Jammeh, the Gambian President, had returned from
Dakar, the Senegalese capital, where "Sud FM Dakar" another subsidiary radio
station had been closed down for a day by Senegalese authorities.

According to Media Foundation for West Africa (MFWA)-Gambia source, at about
1500 hours GMT on October 22, five police officers went to the station
located in Banjul City and ordered Pape Diomaye Thiare, the Station Manager,
to stop transmission.

When asked the reason for the closure and on whose order, the police
officers told Thiare that the "order came from the top" but refused to
disclose the name of the person who instructed them.

On October 17, 2005 "Sud FM", an independent radio station in Dakar,
Senegal, was closed down by the Minister of Interior of the government of
Senegal, Ousmane Ngom, for allegedly misinterpreting an interview granted to
Salif Sadio, Chief of Staff of the Movement of Democratic Forces of
Casamance (MFDC). The station resumed broadcast the next day.

The Media Foundation for West Africa (MFWA) is deeply concerned about the
closure of "Sud FM Banjul Radio" for no reason and views this action as
tantamount to undermining press freedom and free expression.

The MFWA therefore impresses upon President Yahya Jammeh to respect freedom
of expression and re-open the radio station for transmission immediately.

Kindly appeal against the closure of "Sud FM Banjul Radio" and address it
to:

H. E. Yahyah A. A. Jammeh President of the Republic of The Gambia Banjul The
Gambia

Relevant Links

West Africa
Legal and Judicial Affairs
Gambia
Human Rights
Press and Media

Through: The Director of Press/Public Relations President's Office New
Administration Building Quadrangle, Banjul, The Gambia Tel:
+220-201031/226316 Fax: +220-226696

The Minister of Foreign Affairs 4 Muammar Ghadaffi Avenue Banjul, The Gambia
Tel: +220-223577 Fax: +220-223578

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい