GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Beran jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 13:05:46 -0400
Culled from The Independent

Arson attack alleged on Shyngle Nyassi's house

Reliable source have intimated to The Independent that a group of
unidentified youths on Tuesday attempted to set fire to the house of UDP
youth leader, Shyngle Nyassi.

According to sources close to Mr. Nyassi's family, the incident occurred at
around 10.00am on Wednesday when the group stole into Mr. Nyassi's compound
in Brikama and poured petrol at the veranda of the house.

Our sources added that no sooner had they started setting the house on fire
than some UDP militants returning home from political campaign at Kombo East
constituency arrived at the scene.It was reported that the unidentified
youths threw fire at the edge of the veranda and ran away. According to
eyewitnesses the UDP militants helped Nyassi's family members who were
inside to douse the fire. "Although I cannot identify the faces of these men
who wanted the whole house on fire, I am sure they put on APRC T-shirts" a
man who claimed to have been an eyewitness said.

Another eyewitness reported that the unidentified youths escaped because
instead of running after them, the UDP militants thought it was better to
save the burning house than to give chase to the alleged arsonists.
Meanwhile, Shyngle was said to be on tour with the opposition coalition and
could not be reached for comments.

Opposition sympathisers who spoke to this reporter pointed out that the
incident was another attempt to instill fear among members of the
opposition. The Brikama police were said to have mounted an investigation
although our reporter could not get comments from them. .