GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 23:25:12 EDT
Daddy, I agree with you somewhat.  I myself can somewhat understand the
language, but what is the point of posting solely in French?  At first, I was
going to read the post because it seemed interesting.  Then, on second
thoughts, I decided that instead of having to pull out my French dictionary
and catch up on the language, I deserved to read the post in English.  After
all, this is a Bantaba for Gambians, and none of us deserves to be left out
of a conversation.  It is one thing not to be interested in a particular
topic, but I find it absolutely ridiculous that another person who is
interested in Fatou's topic and is unable to read French will have to use the
delete button, while their curiosity is left begging.  Is this space going to
be a free for all where people can post in other relatively obscure languages
such as Swedish and Arabic?  At this pace, we might as well open the L to all
other languages and make it a place where people speak in different tongues,
consequently blocking most other solely English speaking Gambians from their
discussions.

But I have had the whole day to think about my earlier post, prompting me to
think about a reasonable compromise.  How about, along with a post in another
language, an accompanying translation in English? This so that everyone has
access to the post.  No matter how democratic and tolerant we want to be, we
have to understand that along with our culture the thing that binds us
together the most and allows our messages to be heard is the English language.