GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebrima ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 05:15:11 PST
Note: Gambia L, this is just a quick tribute to Professor John Wiseman,
which is different from the review of some of his brilliant works on the
Gambia that I intend to be doing for the L.

                 *************************************

"Ebrima, how can you do this to me?" John Wiseman had asked me when he
returned to the UK, after his last trip to the Gambia, which was in December
1999.

In reply, I asked him: "What did I do to you, or what wrong have I
committed?"

He answered: "Well, this was the first time I visited the Gambia for
research purposes, and was harassed by the National Intelligence Agency
(NIA). And I blame you for that"....

However, before he even finished his sentence, I had interrupted him by
saying: "John, what do you mean? How can you blame me, Ebrima Ceesay,
sitting here in Birmingham, if the NIA had harassed you while you were in
the Gambia?"....

He replied: "Well, I blame you, because the NIA told me that you had
mentioned - in passing - in one of your articles on Gambia L, that I was
planning to go to the Gambia for another research trip, and that alerted
them (NIA). Seriously speaking, the NIA read about my trip to the Gambia, on
the Gambia L, and as a result, when I got to Banjul this time around, they
gave me some rough times"....

After being speechless for a minute or so, I said to him: "Yes, you are
right, I now remember. I did briefly mention on the L, that you were
scheduled to visit the Gambia for another research trip. What happened was
that I suggested to Dr Saine that it was about time that he undertook a
research trip to Gambia, and when lamented the sum of money involved for
such a trip, I then told him on the L, that you (John) were in fact planning
to go to the Gambia."

"Ebrima", he quickly said, realising that I was already feeling some guilt
in me, "I am only joking. I thought you should know that part of John
Wiseman by now. You haven't done anything wrong! I was just pulling your
legs. Sometimes, I just feel like joking and perhaps today was your turn to
get some of my jokes."

Furthermore, he said: "However, on a more serious note, yes, in actual fact,
the NIA did know about my planned trip to the Gambia, through your piece, on
  Gambia L; and, as a result, I was closely monitored by them, while I was
in Banjul, this time around, but I wasn't harassed at all. So, from now on,
take it from me that the NIA is reading all the postings you people are
sending to your Gambian list (Gambia L)"...

The rest of that conservation between John Wiseman and myself is now
history, but from the above cited extracts from the conversation, one can
also see the other side of Professor John Wiseman: that he was also
humorous, light-minded and rib-tickling at times.

No wonder, when he returned to the UK, from his Gambia trip, and started to
complain about an acute pain in his throat, it was now my turn to be the
jester/joker.

"Perhaps, Jammeh, knowing that you always write very critical of him, must
have used the 'corrteh', or his beads/charms on you," I laughingly said to
him.

And he jokingly relied: "you could be right, you know. May be it was Jammeh
who used some of his powerful charms on me, while I was in Banjul, hence
this endless pain I am feeling in my throat. No, in actual fact, I started
feeling this acute pain in my throat long before I went to the Gambia. So it
cannot be caused by Jammeh's charms. Try another one".( we all laughed
together!)

But, who is this Englishman, called John Wiseman, who departed this world on
Sunday 5 March 2000? Well, John Wiseman was a Professor of Politics at
Newcastle University in England, who had devoted almost his entire scholarly
life to study of Africa in general, and the Gambia in particular.

He was indeed, in my view, a very genuine friend of the Gambia and Africa.
And in fact since the Jammeh coup, in July 1994, he literally spent most of
his scholarly time looking at the activities of the AFPRC government and at
the same time, sharing his useful thoughts on the Gambian situation, with
the academic world and also the International Community, so that the Gambia
could be saved from the mayhem other countries under military rule had
encountered.

However, it needs to be pointed out that Professor Wiseman's teaching and
research interests via-a-vis Africa and the Gambia, in fact, started even
before the Gambia gained Independence in 1965. He also spent some time in
Zaria, Northern Nigeria, teaching at the Amadou Bello University.

John Wiseman's research area lay in African politics with particular
reference to both a country basis - focusing on Botswana, The Gambia,
Nigeria and more recently Malawi; and a thematic basis - focusing on
Multi-partyism and Democratisation. Throughout his scholarly life, he had
always helped fight for democracy in Africa.

In fact, he authored five leading books on Africa, including "The New
Struggle for Democracy in Africa" and "Democracy and Political Change in
Sub-Saharan Africa." And needless to say, he also wrote countless articles
in many top Journals.

His recent publications on the Gambia include:

* "The July 1994 Coup d'Etat in the Gambia: The End of an Era"

* "Another Moldy loaf for Africa?: The 1996/97 Transition in the Gambia"

* Military Rule in the Gambia: An Interim assessment"

As Dr Saine told us the other day, that, in his view, Professor John Wiseman
had "impacted the literature on 'Democratisation' in Africa more than any
scholar of his generation." And his (and Arnold Hughes') works on the
Gambia, Dr Saine further writes, "resonate with love and a genuine concern
for the Gambia and Gambians."

It was therefore not surprising to me, that when the BBC first called him,
on the first day of the Jammeh coup, and wanted him to comment on the take
over, he simply told them:.."Right now, my concern/priority is not to
analyse the coup as a political scientist, but rather to find out whether my
Gambian friends and all Gambians on the ground for that matter, are safe or
not. Presently, I am more concerned about the welfare of the Gambians in the
Gambia, than to just hurriedly give you an interview"...

Yes, this was typical John Wiseman in action. For him, Gambia and its
advancement had always come first before anything else!

He once told me: "Jammeh may think that because I write articles very
critical of his government, I am therefore anti him. But my criticality of
his regime is prompted by my desire to help save beautiful Gambia. Knowing
the history of the military in Africa very well, it is important that we
continue to keep Jammeh and Co on track, so that the Gambia can be saved
from the chaos and mayhem Military rule has brought to other parts of
Africa"...

And the last time I spoke to him, after he was diagnosed with a cancer of
the neck/throat, and perhaps knowing that he was going to die, he said to me
that whatever happened, we could look back without regrets for we did fight
hard and for the right causes for that matter.

"In fact, this is why I am very open about my cancer and feel free to tell
people about it, especially my Gambian friends," he had told me.

Having said that, I must also acknowledge that John Wiseman was a true
intellectual, but one who had a remarkable tolerance for diverse views. He
also possessed excellent inter-personal skills. Having read many of his
works, from the 70s to now, I once told him that he was just a very gifted
writer/scholar, period.

But being the humble person he was, he quickly returned the compliment to
me: "Ebrima, you, Sheriff Bojang and others are in fact the gifted writers,
not me, because you are the ones who write without footnotes"...

Indeed, for me, one of the characteristics of John Wiseman was the fact that
he had remarkable tolerance for diverse views, in spite of the fact that he
was a distinguished scholar who always generated fresh and original ideas.
He was also an undaunted fighter for genuine democracy in Africa and
needless to say, he had pursued this goal throughout his scholarly life up
to the time of his death.

It is therefore very fair to assert that the fields of Gambian Studies in
particular, and African Studies in general, were indeed enriched by his
profound and searching scholarship.

Consequently, it is very painful that a malignant cancer of the throat has
robbed Gambian Studies of one of its most brilliant scholars who was
intellectually honest and one who had a keen and penetrating mind.

As the Gambian elections approach, and as more far-reaching political events
unfold in other parts of Africa, I, for one, would surely miss John
Wiseman's lucid analysis. It is indeed very sad that a scholar of his
calibre will no longer be with us to continue the African debate in general
and the Gambian debate in particular.

However, some of us who knew him and understood what he stood for must
redouble our efforts to continue the fight for the building of a better
Africa, because this is what John would expect from us. And this would, in
my view, make him rest very peacefully, in his grave. Yes, we have lost John
Wiseman, but not our mission.

Finally, at this hour of pain and the loss of a great scholar, I wish to
extend my heartfelt condolences to his wife in particular, Jill; staff and
students of Newcastle University; and all his friends all over the world.

John Wiseman is no longer with us, but he'll continue to be an inspiration
to some of us who knew him. He will always be remembered for his clarity,
vision for Africa, intellectual honesty and, above all, his genuine desire
to help build a much more democratic Gambia.

While mourning the loss of John Wiseman, may he live in our memory not only
as a brilliant scholar, but also a genuine friend of the Gambia and Africa.
May his soul rest in eternal peace!!!

Ebrima Ceesay,
Birmingham, UK.