GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 2005 13:58:19 -0800
Subject: NADD  POISED TO DEMONSTRATE,              AS YOUNTH WING LEADER
GAVE FIVE DAY ULTIMATUM TO JAMMEH TO              RELEASE HALIFA AND
OTHERS!!!!! From:    [log in to unmask]
Date:    Thu, November 17, 2005 1:55 pm
To:      [log in to unmask]

       By Akaleke, Our Banjul Correspondent

Lamin Darboe, a NADD Youth Wing leader and  strong supporter has warns
that "a mass show down action is inevitable in The Gambia,  if Halifa
Sallah and his colleagues are not freed within 5 working days."

Mr Darboe, who was in an angry mood,  when talking to this reporter said
nothing is going to stop them from demonstrating, as he describes  the
detention of the NADD officials as "illegal and unconstitutional."   He
added"Insaallah next week,  we will demonstrate, if Jammeh did not free
Halifa and his colleagues."

When asked what impact will such a demonstration have on the detention of
Halifa and others, Darboe who appeared uncompromising  retorted "We will
show Yaya and his criminal government that we are angry over his actions.
We want to see Halifa and others released. We think that such a
demonstration will compel him to release NADD officials."  Mr.Darboe said
the detention of Hamat, OJ and Halifa was politically motivated.  The NADD
Youth Wing leader said,  they are serious about the five days ultimatum
given to Jammeh to release Halifa and others, insisting that failure to
meet their demands, "they have no alternatives but to take to the
streets."

Meanwhile, another NADD supporter in Banjul who spoke to  The ALLGAMBIAN
also expresses  her dissatisfaction over the arrest of  NADD executive
members. She describes such arrests as an  act of  'barbarism."  The NADD
supporter went on to add"Is Halifa and his colleagues not Patriotic
Gambians like he (Jammeh) is claiming to be?  "Despite their detention,
Gambians are fully behind them.' she said.  The NADD supporter vows  to
travel to Serre Kunda come the demonstration day to "complement the
patriotic efforts of her opposition colleagues."

According to sources close to the State House, the government has declared
a state of emergency, but  Jammeh had decided to make it a low key affair
to avoid public panic. Meanwhile,  Security forces have  been deployed all
over Banjul and around the vicinity of the national assembly building.

Sources close to the NADD  Secretariat say  an emergency meeting  was
convened yesterday by the NADD executive in a bid to secure the release of
their detained colleagues.  Our sources  said the meeting was centred on
how to secure the  release  of  NADD executive members. According to our
sources "NADD officials are also using diplomatic steps to secure the
release of their colleagues, as they have drawn the matter to the
attention of the US ambassador in the Gambia Joseph Stanford, the
Senegalese ambassador to the Gambia and the Nigerian ambassador as well.
"The meeting which was held in an  undisclosed location ended with a
declaration calling for the immediate release of the detained NADD
executives" the source hinted.

Observers in the country say the best way to secure the release of the
detained NADD officials is by organising a countrywide show down action.
They say the courts are not independent and as such they don't expect
justice to  be meted out to the detained opposition officials. They said
such a demonstration will attract the attention of the international
community to be responsive to the opposition's plight and The Gambia, as a
 whole.

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

To Search in the Gambia-L archives, go to:
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?S1=gambia-l To contact the List
Management, please send an e-mail to: