GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 09:36:34 EST
In a message dated 11/14/99 6:17:19 AM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< What "liberalised authoritarianism"? To what extent has it translated into
 the greater good for Gambian society? It means little or nothing as long as
 this modicum of liberalism is the handiwork of institutional framework, not
 necessarily the free-will offering of an unreformed, unchecked leadership.
 All good governments are grounded in the sacredness of accountability and
 transparency to its citizenry. And the primary function of any government is
 to protect the liberties and freedoms of its citizens. But where a
 government is more powerful than its citizens, refuses to be accountable and
 transparent, refuses to reform itself, the presence of any liberalism,
 however scanty, remains only a facade, not a reality enshrined in the
 collective conscience of the leaders and the led. That is the sad reality
 about The Gambia.

 Ebrima says that Gambians voted for Jammeh simply for the fear that his
 defeat would have caused "turmoil." That is preposterous to me. But if
 that's indeed the reason for voting Jammeh into power, then woe betide us.
 In my opinion, Jammeh was voted president not because his defeat would have
 triggered unrest, but out of mass gullibility and ignorance, a political
 culture that Jawara bequeathed to Jammeh. And which, Jammeh - perhaps
 irremediably, but certainly willingly - shoved deeper down the arteries of
 our nation's political psyche, much to his advantage. The tragedy
 continues...

 Coach, no hard feelings, man. Just trying to speak my mind. Thanks for the
 article. At least, it is generating a healthy debate.

 Cherno Baba Jallow
 Wayne State University
 Detroit, MI

Cherno Baba, l  couldn't agree  more. This is the point l was trying to put
across, but could not do it as eloquently as you have done here. l also
echoe that this is no attack on Ebrima, but merely the truth as evidenced by
all that has transpired since the  coup and  ensuing  so-called  civilian
rule.

Jabou Joh